Steven Cohen, Vice President at M&J Trimming, makes sure that customers have access to the most stylish and trendy trims in town! As the head of purchasing and sales, all potential new items have to go through him before they make their way onto the store shelves. Working at the familybusiness since the age of 14, he has four young daughters who can’t wait to follow in his footsteps. He can always tell which trims are trending, and gave us a few of his top trim picks! (And yes, they are ALL online.)
1” CHEETAH PRINT METALLIC RIBBON – This ribbon is, quite literally, wild. It’s a fun ribbon that combines two of today’s most popular trends: metallics and animal print. Use this ribbon to wrap birthday presents or add it as an accent to home décor.
2″ LARGE RHINESTONE LEAF TRIM – This is probably one of the most versatile rhinestone trims that we carry. DIY brides come in all of the time requesting this trim because they can make it into a bridal belt, and use small sections to create brooches for their bridesmaids.
LARGE FUR POMPOMS – Before you know it, we’re going to be having one of our famous New York autumns, and this pompom is the perfect addition to your cold-weather accessories. Add it to your hat or use it as a toggle on your cape! 23MM 3-ROW PEARL AND RHINESTONE TRIM – This trim is a trifecta of rhinestones, pearls, and chain. It looks incredible on gowns, clutches, and it can even be used to create a necklace.
1 5/8″ TOOTH PENDANT WITH CAP – It seems like everyone is trying out the hippie-chic look these days, and this pendant makes an awesome necklace for that style. It also comes in a lot of colors, so all of your festival friends can match! 1″ RUFFLE TRIM WITH PEARL CHAIN CENTER – This trim has a lot going on, but it all works together beautifully. The chain gives the ruffles and pearls just the right amount of edge, and keeps it from looking too delicate.
Rhinestones serve many purposes. Rhinestones can accent an outfit in many ways. The beauty of these crystals are their versatility. Each crystal can be used individually or grouped together. Rhinestones can be used for clothing, jewelry or even makeup purposes. However you choose to rock the look you’ll be sure to sparkle in the crowd.
Today is the first day of our 2 Day Sale
TAKE 10% OFF FLATBACK AND HOTFIX RHINESTONES
USE CODE CRYSTALSALE AT CHECKOUT
Here at M&J we are obsessed with emerald jewelry. While browsing possible D.I.Y projects we came across a stunning bracelet created by Trinkets in Bloom. By using rhinestone trim, chain, and scissors featured at M&J this bracelet is sure to make heads turn.
Check out the M&J Trimming’s site for all of your emerald needs!
We have been inspired to create statement necklaces all week with our great assortment of chains, cords, and rhinestone trims. And we are not the only ones! Over at Meredith & Gwyneth, the New Yorkie, they created a DIY statement necklace using some of our supplies. It looks amazing and is very simple to make, so make sure to check out their tutorial here!
Carly of Chic Steals is a sucker for big, sparkly things…and so are we! We love the way jewels glisten on wintery nights. When we saw that Carly made these sparkly earrings using our rhinestone trim, we fell in love with them. Check out her blog to read her full DIY on how to make these jewels yourself!
The weather is starting to get a little breezy and that is definitely a sign that summer is long gone. That means it is time to put away those summer clothes and bring out the warmer clothes for Fall. Fall is usually a fashionista’s favorite time of the year. It is not too cold nor is it too hot. It is a perfect time to wear comfortable and trendy clothing. This week, we brought out the classic black blazer and embellished it with a variety of Swarovski buttons, crystal trims, pearl strands and braided lace or frogs. Below, you will see a before picture and above is after the alteration. It is very easy to get this chic look with simple supplies and instructions.
You can see there is a big difference in the before and after image. This Fall, dramatically embellished garments are very popular. For the blazers, you will notice in a lot magazines that the shoulders are embellished with different materials. A lot of deisgners are using fringe, and feathers. However, crystal jewels are the most used to embellish blazers. Why spend thousands of dollars when you can create your own unique look. For the unique look on the blazer, I mainly used Swarovski buttons andvarious trims.
- Pin the lace on top of the shoulder according to how you feel it fits best. Then either stitch on the lace or use Unique Stitch glue. It works just like a needle when applying fabric on fabric.
- Decide where you would like to add the buttons on the shoulder and easily stitch them on using the needle. It is really up to you how you want to design the shoulder. The main idea is to make it dramatic.
- Add the pearl strands and rhinstone trim along the side and then add a button over where you started the trim.
- Do not forget to replace all the old buttons with a different style of glass buttons. When you do this, your friends will barely notice it is the same blazer from last year.
- When it is done, then you are ready to wear it and show it off.
Summer is finally here! It’s about time. Well, actually it doesn’t quite feel like summer in NYC. It still feels like spring time especially since it’s raining almost every day. If it wasn’t for the tall buildings, you’d think its Seattle.
Anyways, summer is a time for celebration. There’s graduation, Independence Day, and just time to enjoy the warm sun. If you’re planning a celebration this summer for birthdays, weddings, anniversaries or graduation, then why not make it recession friendly. Instead of receiving gifts, ask for a thick envelope with cash instead.
You’ll need a safe place to store all that cash. So today, I decided to make a money box! The money box should be very popular this year; especially with the recession, who wouldn’t want some cash instead of a toaster for your gift.
The money box I made today measures 8 inches all around. If you plan on doing the same size then you’ll need:
You have 6 pieces of the 8” x 8” board, take four of them and glue them together along the edge to build a box. There should be a hole in the center after you finish. It’s the space for the top and the bottom of the box. Let is dry before continuing to the next step
- While the glue is drying, work on the top of the box. With the ruler, measure 2 inches from the edge of the board and mark it with a pencil. Mark the opposite side with about 5 inches from the edge. Then mark 1.5 inches on both the left and the right edge of the board.
- Using the pencil and ruler, trace the marked areas. It should form a long rectangle. It should be about ½” long.
- Use the box cutter to cut out that area. It will be the hole for the money.
- Now, using the multipurpose adhesive, lightly spray the top of the board and lay the 9” x 9” fabric on top. Smooth out the fabric.
- With the cutter, cut through fabric into the hole you just created for inserting the money. Leave enough fabric so that you can cover the inside and give it a nice finish.
- Take the gem-tac glue and glue don the extra fabric onto the other side of the board.
- Now, going back to the box. Take the 30” by 9” fabric and wrap if around the box after it finished drying. You can use the multipurpose adhesive and spray it around the box first. It helps smooth out the fabric.
- Wrap it tightly and at the end, fold the extra fabric inside. Then use the gem-tac and glue it in place.
- Use the gem-tac to glue the other extra fabrics along the edges of the box. Fold the fabric into the inside of the box. If it’s hard, use scissors to cut the corners and then fold the fabrics and glue it in place.
- Using the pins, pin the top part of the box with the rest of the boards. This should close the top. We’re using pins instead of glue, so that you can take out the money when the party is over.
- It’s time for the satin ribbons. The 11” goes in front of the box. The 13” goes in the back of the box. The 24” goes along the side of the box. Glue them in place.
- Center the 27” ribbon and glue only the center of the ribbon to the center of the box.
- It’s time for the hand-dyed silk. With one hand, hold the end of the ribbon. With your other hand, start folding the ribbon over to form a flower.
- Take the needle and thread and stitch the center in place when you’re done.
- Glue the flower down on the top of the box and glue the button in the center of the flower.
- When the glue for the box dries, flip the box over and glue the bottom of the box on. You can add a strip of rhinestone trim to the button like how I did.
- You’re all done!