Looking for an easy way to jazz up that little black dress in your closet? A simple belt with an exquisite buckle makes a great addition to a fashion classic. Stick to a black belt, you do not want to draw too much attention to the waist.
To get the look you will need
- Measure your waist. This belt has no adjustment so don’t cheat or you will be holding your tummy in all evening.
- Add one inch to this measurement and cut ribbon at this length.
- Create ½” pleat at the top of the ribbon and press. Ideally you want the lines to create an up right V, this is a much more youthful look.
- Thread your ribbon through the back of your buckle, stop at 1″ and fold over.
- Hand stitch the tab you’ve just created down to the ribbon as close the bar as possible.
- Trim off excess, if you own pinking sheers these are ideal to use. If not a straight cut is fine.
As many of my loyal blog readers can tell, I’m a pretty crafty person. Some of you may not know I’m an avid seamstress too. For this week’s blog I decided to make a Bridesmaid’s dress and embellish it with items from M&J. Granted, my best friend isn’t using purple in her wedding. My Sister-in-law probably won’t either, but at least I made a pretty little dress I can wear again. You don’t even need to make the dress, you can buy something simple off the rack and go from there. It’s a more cost effective (and more custom) alternative to Box Store Bridesmaids’ dresses.
I used McCalls #4460, view C. For the dress I used a Purple/White cross woven Silk Dupioni. Not shown is the black tulle along the bottom. You could even use a jazzy black lace along the hem instead! I used a 24mm Silk Satin Ribbon in Black for the belt, and Rhinestone Buckle #32367 in Jet/Black Diamond/Gunmetal. The top of the dress is edged in the 15mm Black Organdy Ribbon with a 9mm Black Silk Satin placed in the middle. I simply used Unique Stitch glue on the ribbons and it holds really well.
If you want to take a store bought dress and embellish it, pick a simple dress with very little details already on it. You can add a ribbon belt as I have, use a beaded trim around the top or on the waist, add Sew on Rhinestones or use a silk flower.