Every year before Lent, many cities participate in festivities that basically blow all of the others out of the water. Whether you call it Carnival or Mardi Gras, these celebrations are over the top and outrageous, but what WE love most about them is the style inspiration! Check out these amazing photos of Carnival around the world!
Carnival in Rio de Janeiro is wild, loud, and vibrant! Paraders dance to the classic Brazilian dance, the samba, all while wearing gorgeous costumes with gigantic feathered headpieces. The celebration lasts for days, and the revelers are invited to join in on the fun by jumping into the parade! We love the costumes because they are so intricate and exciting!
While the Carnival in Rio may be racy, the Carnival festivities in Venice might be the exact opposite! Most people walk around cloaked in ornate costumes with beautiful masks covering their faces. Many centuries ago masks were worn frequently in Venice, and scholars have suggested that it was a way to disguise your social ranking in everyday life. When the mask came on a pauper could be a prince. These masks are often made with leather, porcelain or glass, and then decorated with gold and jewels.
In New Orleans, Mardi Gras is the main event. A combination of Venice’s masks and Rio’s headdresses with a penchant for gold, green and purple; this celebration is known nationwide! People flock from all over the globe to experience this event with a uniquely Louisiana vibe.
Have you ever been to any Carnival-type celebrations? If not, which would you love to go to?
With Mercedes Benz Fashion Week coming up, we can’t help but look for inspiring pieces to wear to all of the shows! This year we really want to make a statement with our outfits, so we’re using accessories to create unforgettable looks. See which styles are sparking our imaginations, and you may just see our versions of these cool trends in an upcoming series!
Blue Rhinestone Wrap Bracelet, Druzy Leather Wrap Bracelets, Cluster Bracelets and Watch
We love a good wrap bracelet because it’s casual, fun and still totally chic! This year we’re really feeling the wrap bracelet upgrade, which pairs the boho chic style with some glamorous stones.
Elizabeth Cole Drop Earrings, Statement Stone Earrings, Isabella Drops
Right now we are on board the drop earring train. This style is bold and shining with enough sparkle to stop anyone in their tracks!
Neutral Feather Collar, Feather Necklace over Collar, Green Feather Necklace
There is something so cool yet simple about a feather collar. It’s an unexpected change from the usual fur, and it has a light airy feeling to it that is so unique! Don’t pass up on this trend, or it will fly away!
Stud Shoulder Pads, Statement Sequin Shoulders, Gold Statement Sequin Shoulder Pads
Statement shoulders are definitely in right now! From red carpet runway gowns, to edgy street fashion, these stylized shoulder accents are taking the fashion world by storm. And why not? They make a cool, confident and stylish statement!
For our second Halloween DIY installment, let’s take a journey back in time to the Roaring 20s. This style has taken the DIY world by storm after The Great Gatsby came out this spring. With the grandiose celebrations, chic fashions, and surplus of sparkles, it’s no wonder we’d love to channel the look into a DIY costume this year. Embrace your inner flapper with this amazing (and simple) Gatsby-inspired headband!
What You’ll Need:
3/4 yard of 18mm Foldover Elastic #25068
1 Curly Goose Feather Patch #42639
1 Beaded Pearl Fan Appliqué #41988
1. Use an elastic band to measure the distance around your head. Make sure it isn’t too loose or too tight! Create a half inch overlap, and cut off any excess.
2. Place glue on that half inch end, and glue the ends together. Let it dry for an hour.
3. Take your feather patch, and glue it over the seam you just created.
4. Take your fan appliqué, and glue it over the feather patch.
5. Make sure you allow your headband to dry for 24 hrs before wearing. You wouldn’t want the feathers to go flying while doing the Charleston!
6. Place it delicately on your head to avoid disrupting those fabulous pin curls, and you’re all so set to go! Wear it out to your next party for a look that will make even Daisy Buchanan jealous!
Love the look, but want to make it your own? We’ve got you covered! Find all of the inspirational embellishments you need, from beaded trim to peacock feathers, at our Great Gatsby Inspiration Page!
The ‘Dance Baby Dance’ editorial in Vogue Turkey’s December 2012 issue is so inspiring. While searching for New Years party outfits, this editorial definitely makes us want to DIY instead of buy! Chunky chains, sequin pants, sequin tops, baroque lace and feather dresses … we are going back into our DIY archives for ideas because we want this New Years to truly be one of a kind!
A while ago we shared our Carnival inspiration with you, and ever since we’ve been dreaming of fun feather trims and shiny sequins. We wanted to make a DIY incorporating some of our incredible feather trims, so we created this lovely feather clutch that would be perfect for a night on the town. It’s very simple, but the final result is oh-so-chic! Take a look for yourself and let us know what you think.
Supplies: a clutch or makeup bag, scissors, E6000 glue, 2 yds feather fringe, 2 ft sequin trim
The exact feather trim we used is item #30865 (in Spruce), and the exact sequin trim is item #54829. Both trims are available by contacting customer service at 1-800-9-MJTRIM or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Measure out the feather trim so it wraps around the clutch once (both the front and the back). Cut one piece to this length. Cut two more pieces that are the same length, so you have three pieces of trim that will wrap all the way around the clutch.
2. Lay the feather trim down on the clutch so the feathers are hanging over the bottom of the clutch a bit. Then use the glue to slowly glue the trim in place, section by section. Glue it all the way around the clutch and trim any excess feathers.
3. Add another layer of feather trim on top, so it covers up the top of the first layer of fringe. Glue it in place, all the way around the clutch.
4. Add the top and final layer of feathers at the very top of the clutch. Glue it all the way around and let dry.
5. To add some extra pizzaz, glue down your sequin trim at the top of the clutch. Let it dry then you’re all done!
There’s nothing better than having an adorable keychain to accompany your keys. We’ve been scouting out some DIY keychains lately, and thought we would share our favorites with you. From animals to feathers, there are some pretty cute ideas, so check them out below! Which one do you like the best?
DIY Leather Heart Key Ring by Love Maegan
DIY Animal Keychain by Between the Lines
DIY Leather Tassel Keychain by Little Green Notebook
DIY Sailor Knot Keychain by Michael Ann Made
Our latest blogger obsession is Christina, the super crafty girl behind Copenhagan-based blog Passions for Fashion. Her DIY tutorials cover everything from jewelry to home decor, and they are always quite tasteful and on-trend. We’re particularly in love with her feather earrings – we must DIY those ASAP! Keep reading to see a few more of Christina’s projects, and stop by Passions for Fashion to get more DIY updates.
DIY Feather Earrings
Christina’s homemade crystal jewelry
DIY Hex Nut Bracelet
Not quite a headband, not quite a hat, a headpiece is our favorite way to add a bohemian vibe to an outfit. Ever since we spotted them on some of our style icons at Coachella, we have been searching for the best headpiece tutorials to follow. Here’s our top 5!
1. DIY Bohemian Chain Headpiece by All The Good Girls Go To Heaven
2. DIY Beach Boho Headpiece by P.S. I Made This
3. DIY Feather Headpiece by Wunderlust
4. DIY Ann Demeulemeester Feather Headpiece by Monoxious
5. DIY Headpiece Out of a Necklace by Oh So Pretty the Diaries
M&J Trimming is so happy, excited & honored to see a full-page feature of M&J Trimming in Martha Stewart Weddings Summer 2011 Issue! Martha Stewart Weddings is the perfect magazine for helping you plan your wedding with great tips in diy, fashion, and decorations we are happy to know that they feel the same way about us. Be sure to pick up a copy in a local store today.
“New York City’s craft mecca, our one-stop shop for the best DIY details” -Martha Stewart Weddings.
Links to Categories in Order Below
Straight Hackle in Coral
Half Ball Button, Mother of Pearl Buttons, Tuxedo Buttons, Fashion Buttons
M&J Bridal Appliqués (Call 212-704.8017 or visit mjbridalsalon.com)
Important Rayon Twist Cord and Mesh Tube Ribbon
Navette Rhinestone w/settings, Oval R.S. W/Setting, Pointed Back R.S. W/Setting, and Set in Rose Montes
Unique Stitch Glue and Magna-Tax
M&J Bridal Salon Flower (Call 212-704.8017 or visit mjbridalsalon.com)
Pins and Needles
Large Fancy Safety Pin, Sewing Needles