I am very much in love with two of this season’s biggest trends, feathers and fringe. Designers are using these two elements to embellish everything from clothing, jewelry, and accessories, and I am looking for any way to incorporate them into my wardrobe. As I am searching my closet I find a pair of gladiator sandals from last summer and decide they are perfectly in need of a make over. By adding just two simple trims to a past “must have” I now posses this summer’s hottest look.
To Get the Look:
- 1 yard of 2” faux leather fringe. M&J carries leather fringe in many different styles, colors, and sizes. So please, take a look and be creative.
- 1 yard of feather fringe. Style #26796 in Turquoise available by calling 1-800-9-MJTRIM
- 1 pair of sandals
- 1 bottle of Sobo Craft Glue.
- 1 leather needle.
- 1 spool of thread, rayon or a cotton/poly blend work best.
- If you are using a pair from your closet, clean them first.
- Next measure down the center vertical strap.
- Cut two pieces of the fringe about a ¼” longer than strap measurement. I like to dap just a touch of glue on the ends of the fringe to keep it from fraying and coming apart.
- Using glue tack the center of each piece of fringe down the center strap of your sandal. Let this set up for about 45 minutes.
- You may skip this step if you wish, I choose to do it because I like the way it keeps my work in place while I am trying to sew by hand.
- Using your leather needle begin to stitch the fringe to the strap.
- Using glue once again top the two center pieces of fringe with your feather trim. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
- You may carefully stitch the feather trim down using your leather needle, I would use a very thin thread, being careful to hide all stitches.
- Wear, enjoy!