An easy way to add an element of green to your table is to create a covering made from a natural fiber cord such as jute or hemp. As mentioned in Milton’s Earth Friendly Jute Belt blog, Jute is 100% biodegradable and requires little to no chemicals for production.
I picked up a cute little set of 4 juice glasses and a matching carafe at a local second hand shop. If you want your set to be eco friendly try your second hand shops, stuff you already have or look into sets made of recycled glass (an ever-growing industry).
- Carafe/Pitcher + glasses
- Glue gun + glue sticks
- 8mm Jute Cord (00650-JUTE) (5 ½ yards for the carafe, 1 yard/glass)
- Glue one end of the 5-½ piece of cord to the base of the Carafe. Leave a little bit of the end unglued so that you can later point it upward and wrap the cord over it as you secure it around the circumference of the Carafe. I also started mine slightly above the actual bottom of the carafe so that it does not touch the table surface. This is optional.
- Continue to lay down about 3 inches of glue in the desired path of the cord. Keep snaking it around until you get to the end. You should be able to pull up part of the glued down cord with the end of a pair of scissors and tuck the raw end of the cord into it so that it is hidden.
- Repeat the same steps with the glasses.
- You’re done! Now you have the perfect set to serve wine or water in to your guests!