Got boring sheets? Tired of plain old cotton sheets? Me too. But there is a solution to mundane nights. Ladies and gentlemen…lace never dies. Trimming your bed-sheets with lace does not have to mean transforming your sleeping quarters to grandma’s doily collection. Lace comes in so many different patterns and designs that it’s easy to select one that suits your style. *Machine sewing parts of this project are recommended for a more professional finish. *
- Good old fashion elbow grease because you may be hand-sewing parts of this project.
- Iron + Ironing board
- Sheet set + 2 pillowcases
- Four yards of lace for a full or queen sheet set and 2 pillowcases -OR- five yards of lace for a king sheet set + two pillow cases. I chose the 88mm Cotton Eyelet Lace. Style #38903 for my sheets. If you are looking for a something a little less soft than regular lace, you should try metallic lace for a more modern look.
- Needle and thread to match the lace
- Sewing Machine
- Preshrink your sheets if they are new
- Preshrink your lace if it is 100% cotton on the gentle cycle and I recommend putting it in a lingerie garment bag or tied pillow case to protect it. No need to preshrink if it is a cotton blend.
- Iron sheets + pillowcases
- Cut two 41″ pieces of lace for the pillowcases. The rest will be for the top sheet.
- Fold one piece of lace in half, right side in and hem the two ends together with a ½ inch seam allowance. Repeat with second pillow case piece. Press open seams with iron.
- Pin lace loops right side out onto the pillowcases so the top lines up with the hem on the cases. Machine-sew the top edge of the lace to the pillowcase. Remember to backstitch! Hand sew all other parts of the lace down the pillow cases…the need for this step can be omitted if the lace you choose looks better free-flowing.
- Lay the remaining piece of lace across the top hem of the flat sheet. Fold ½” at each end of the lace around the back of the sheet + press + hem.
- Machine hem the top edge of the lace across the width of the sheet. Hand-sew the rest as needed.
- Make your bed, turn on some tunes and take a nap. You deserve it.