If you saw our previous post, you would know that we love the new (old) 90s inspired embroidered patches trend. It’s such a DIY-able project, we just had to make our own patched jacket. From runway to street style, this trend is the perfect way to express yourself and we’ll show you how.
What you’ll need:
Patches of your liking
A Denim Jacket
1. Place the patches where want them on the jacket. Pin them to keep them in place.
2. Add more patches. Use them to tell a story.
3. Once you have them all in place, see if you like the overall effect.
4. Fix them to the jacket by ironing them on. Place a teflon sheet or a cotton cloth over the patch and apply heat till they’re secure.
Fashion moves forward by looking back. This time, the reminiscence of brands like Phillip Lim, Gucci, Alice and Olivia, Valentino and Marc Jacobs, brings us ultra cool, delightfully unique, patched outfits. Retrofitting everything from jackets to playsuits with patches that are cheeky, rebellious or just plain adorable (think unicorns) unearthed this easy DIY-able trend of the 90s, much to our delight. We dare you to resist the urge to make your own patched jackets or jeans after looking at these fine examples of ‘patching’:
A round up of our favorite designer patched outfits from the runway.
Don’t you absolutely love these inspired street style looks?
With Cinco de Mayo just around the corner, we’ve become inspired by the rich and bold culture of Mexico. To celebrate, we’ve created a colorful pompom and ribbon-embellished clutch that’s sure to dazzle and delight all summer long. Rock it at a festival or bring it to the beach!
What You’ll Need:
10mm Woven Ethnic Ribbon
35mm Imported Floral Jacquard
15mm Mini Pompom Loop Fringe
3/4″ 2-Row Mini Pompom Trim
Jumbo Pompom Fringe
1 3/4″ Pompom Fringe
65 X 16mm Metal Tooth Pendant
5 1/2″ Braided Band Imported Tassel
1. Position your trim in the arrangement you like. We used a mix of ribbon and jacquard, and placed them on the clutch horizontally.
2. Begin gluing your trim down. Start in the center and work outward.
3. Cut off any excess trim so that it does not hang over the edge of the clutch.
4. Glue the jumbo pompom trim around the perimeter of the clutch.
5. Add a tassel and pendant to the zipper. Use a jump ring to connect the tooth pendant if you cannot fit it through the zipper pull.
Every year color authority, Pantone, picks the reigning color for the upcoming year. This color then dictates home decor, fashion and beauty for the rest of the year. This year Pantone threw us a curveball by revealing two colors, Serenity and Rose Quartz, as the “it” colors for 2016. The best part about the pair? The duo work so well together that one can easily transition to the next with the ease of Sleeping Beauty’s ballroom gown. These soothing shades pair perfectly in home decor, fashion and wedding style. How will you be using Serenity and Rose Quartz this year? Do you prefer one over the other? Let us know in the comments!
As the weather gets colder and party season heads into full swing, we’re looking for holiday party style that won’t leave us shivering! This week we used Brilliance sew-on jewels to upgrade a stylish sweater into a seasonal staple! Pair this sweater with dark denim and a wedge boot, and you won’t need another accessory. And remember, there’s nothing wrong with giving the cold shoulder with a little bit of icy Brilliance bling.
What You’ll Need:
Brilliance Sew-On Jewels in Jet
Needle and Thread
1. Place Brilliance stones onto sweater in your desired pattern. We placed them in a random cluster on one shoulder, but follow your creative instincts. Use different colors, play with placement and have fun with it!
2. Start sewing! If you find your jewels sinking into the sweater, place a fabric behind the sweater material and jewels.
Our final Halloween DIY is ideal for the queen in all of us and perfect for any little princesses as well! We created an intricate crown using two types of metallic lace and, of course, some Brilliance stones for sparkle. This DIY is quick and easy to make, and also easy to customize! Swap out the laces with different varieties, use colored gems, make a tiara instead.
What You’ll Need:
5 1/2″ Cupped Round Buckram Frame
5 1/2″ (140 MM) Floral Metallic Lace
4 1/2″ (114 MM) Ornate Metallic Lace
Brilliance Crystal Flatbacks and Navette Sew-Ons
Starch or Spray Glue
1. Spray the buckram frame with metallic spray paint.
2. Spray the laces with spray glue or starch to stiffen them. Then let dry.
3. Apply spray glue or E6000 to the buckram frame.
4. Apply the first piece of lace, and wrap around the length of the frame.
5. Add more glue and wrap the second piece of lace around the buckram frame.
6. Use E6000 to add the Brilliance stones to the desired areas.
When it comes to Halloween costumes, the component that is usually left untouched is the footwear! We have a feeling that that’s because people are intimidated to DIY with shoes, but fret not DIYers! The internet is chock full of easy DIYs that will step up your costume game, literally. Here are a few of our favorite shoe DIYs for those who would like to delve into costume shoe customization.
This boot DIY is perfect for costumes that require boots in hard-to-find colors or superhero boots!
We have to give this DIY a round a ap-paws for allowing us to make a cute pair of costume paws.
Keep it simple and spooky with a pair of DIY Skeleton Canvas Shoes!
Last but certainly not least, witch costumes are a Halloween staple, so it only makes sense that we would feature these awesome DIY Witch Heels!
Steampunk fashion is usually characterized by a careful mix of Victorian-era garments paired with science-fiction elements. This Halloween, if you’re interested in stepping up your costume game, try a steampunk style. A steampunk costume can sate both your need for high fashion AND fantastic embellishments. Plus, there are so many sub-genres of steampunk to choose from, you’re guaranteed to find something that suits you! Easy ways to add authenticity? Use muted and natural tones. Back in those days the bold colors we get from synthetic dyes were practically impossible to achieve. Gears are almost a staple in steampunk fashion and accessories. Don’t be afraid of heavy metals! Tack on the chains, buttons, and nailheads to get that industrial look. Looking for steampunk essentials before Halloween? Check out our Steampunk Halloween Shop!
This week’s DIY revolves around a science fiction sub-genre which revolves around steam power! We’re making a pair of edgy steampunk-inspired boots with brassy buttons and Brilliance embellishments, and chain laces. Sure, it may be a little modern for true steam punk aficionados, but these boots can work double-duty as your statement shoes this season.
What You’ll Need:
–Work in Progress Button
–Metal Fashion Button
–Ornate Metal Button
–Rustic Flat Top Shank Button
–Crossed Bars Hammered Metal Button
–Brilliance Collection Gold Flatback Rhinestone
–Brilliance Collection Jet Hematite Flatback Rhinestone
-6.5mm Cone Shaped Stud
–10mm Hotfix Flat-Top Pyramid Studs
–10mm Hotfix Flat-Top Cone Studs
–2mm Steel Cable Chain (2 yards)
–8mm Steel Cable Chain (2 Yards)
1. Thread the two chains through your boot like you would laces. We kept the original cord laces, but only tied them up halfway.
2. Add a button to the end of the length of chain.
3. Add a jump ring to the chain on the inside of the boot. It should only be one or two links away from the button. Repeat on the other side.
4. For added stability we glued the button to the first eyelet.
5. Repeat on the other side of the boot.
6. Remove the shanks from your metal buttons.
7. Glue the buttons on first.
8. Follow them with nailheads.
9. Finally, add your Brilliance Flatbacks.
10. Repeat the steps above with second boot.
As NYC locals, we at M&J Trimming, are lucky enough to be able to experience one of the most beautiful fall foliage sites just down the Hudson River! There’s nothing like getting away from the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple to go explore the fiery fall trails, pick apples by the bushel, or snag the perfect pumpkin for carving. That being said, if you’re spending the weekend exploring the great outdoors, you need to drop your style game at the subway doors. Check out some of our favorite fall looks that work double duty as comfy and stylish options.