This week’s DIY revolves around a science fiction sub-genre which revolves around steam power! We’re making a pair of edgy steampunk-inspired boots with brassy buttons and Brilliance embellishments, and chain laces. Sure, it may be a little modern for true steam punk aficionados, but these boots can work double-duty as your statement shoes this season.
What You’ll Need:
–Work in Progress Button
–Metal Fashion Button
–Ornate Metal Button
–Rustic Flat Top Shank Button
–Crossed Bars Hammered Metal Button
–Brilliance Collection Gold Flatback Rhinestone
–Brilliance Collection Jet Hematite Flatback Rhinestone
-6.5mm Cone Shaped Stud
–10mm Hotfix Flat-Top Pyramid Studs
–10mm Hotfix Flat-Top Cone Studs
–2mm Steel Cable Chain (2 yards)
–8mm Steel Cable Chain (2 Yards)
1. Thread the two chains through your boot like you would laces. We kept the original cord laces, but only tied them up halfway.
2. Add a button to the end of the length of chain.
3. Add a jump ring to the chain on the inside of the boot. It should only be one or two links away from the button. Repeat on the other side.
4. For added stability we glued the button to the first eyelet.
5. Repeat on the other side of the boot.
6. Remove the shanks from your metal buttons.
7. Glue the buttons on first.
8. Follow them with nailheads.
9. Finally, add your Brilliance Flatbacks.
10. Repeat the steps above with second boot.