We’ve whipped up collar DIYs before, like our lace collar, but lately we’ve been lusting after a more futuristic look. After spotting some silver faux leather in our store, we knew it would be perfect for a sleek, simple metallic collar. And we’re really loving the industrial look of the metal closure. Follow our instructions below to make it yourself!
1. Gather your supplies. You’ll need: scissors, a needle, silver thread, a metal closure, 1 1/2 ft silver faux leather trim
2. Trim your silver trim into a long trapezoid for your collar. You may want to use a real collared shirt as a template, or simply wrap the trim around your neck and eyeball it. Angle the edges a bit – our trim was 16 inches long at the top, and 17 inches long at the bottom.
3. Thread your needle with the silver thread and tie a knot at the bottom of the thread. Place one end of the metal closure over the top corner of the silver trim, and begin sewing around it to hold it in place. Once it’s secure, tie the thread in a knot in the back and snip the ends.
4. Repeat Step 3 by sewing the other side of the metal closure to the other side of the collar.
5. You’re all done! Simply unclip the metal closure to put the collar on.