It’s that time of the year to start saving on glamorously beautiful Swarovski Flatback rhinestones. Save 10% starting right now until March 22nd at 11:59 p.m. EST. It’s only a 2 day sale, so hurry and let’s get started.
Please be advised that our holiday store hours are as follows.
Saturday, December 24th: 9am– 4pm
Sunday, December 25th: Closed
Monday, December 26th: Closed
Saturday, December 31st: 10am– 4pm
Sunday, January 1st: Closed
Monday, January 2nd: 10am – 5pm
Our staffs at M&J Trimming would like to wish you a happy holiday and wonderful New Year. Thank you for choosing M&J Trimming.
M&J has always been my go-to source for supplies and inspiration, so being asked to be September’s Blogger of the Month was so flattering and exciting! When I was very young, my great-aunt gave me a beautiful box full of gorgeous silk ribbons for my birthday. I was only about 6 at the time, but I still remember it as one of my favorite presents. When I opened M&J’s box and saw the stunning ribbons they had picked out for me, I felt like a little kid again! There are so many ways to use ribbons and embellishments to take pieces you already have and update them to look fresh off the runway.
Project 1: Button Elastics
I am always tying my hair back in the middle of the day to get it out of my face so I wear a hair elastic on my wrist at all times. This easy DIY brightens up boring hair elastics for a tie that looks just as cute on your wrist as it will in your ponytail!
M&J Items Used:
Enamel Fashion Button Item# 45870011 (Call 1.800.9.MJTRIM)
Project 2: Sweet Rocker Tee:
I absolutely love a great vintage tee. Adding some frills and beaded embellishments can give them a feminine touch – making the perfect top to pair with some leggings and booties for a sweet hard rock look.
M&J Items Used:
Project 3: Prada-Inspired Striped Midi Skirt
Prada’s S/S 11 lollipop colored stripes on sophisticated black items inspired the midi skirt I created. I don’t have a sewing machine, so everything you see here was sewn by hand. It doesn’t take much time, and if you make sure you get a perfectly-matching color of thread, it doesn’t take much talent either!
M&J Items Used:
I had so much fun creating these projects with the surprise box that M&J Trimming sent me. There’s a lot of variety within these 6 projects, so I hope you’re inspired to try out at least one of them! Enjoy, and Happy DIY’ing!
Project 1: Multi-Finger ring
Multi-finger rings have been spotted everywhere lately. As one of this season’s hottest trends, you can make your very own multi-finger ring with just a few supplies.
- 3 Fashion Dome Buttons Item# 46459 in Teal
- Button shank remover
- Scrap of pleather or leather (1.5″x2.5″)
- Super glue
- 3 ring blanks
Project 2: Chain and Cord Bracelet
This statement bracelet looks complicated, but it really isn’t! I love the combination of different textures, between the chain and the cord.
- Cord/Braid Item# 887060198 in Ovocado (1.800.9.MJTRIM) , about 60 inches
- Kelly Green Color thread Item#42681
- 1 Fashion Dome Buttons Item# 46459 in Teal
- Thick wide curb chain
- Sewing needle
- Jewelry pliers
- Jewelry clasp and jump rings
- Clear nailpolish
Tip: Wrap tape around the ends of the cord to prevent them from fraying while you make the bracelet.
1) Cut the cord into two 30 inch pieces, and thread one piece through the first link of the curb chain. Fold the thread in half to make sure that there’s the same amount of thread on either side. Take the bottom strand, fold it over the top strand and then through the second link.
2) Take this strand and fold it back over the chain, and under the other strand. That other strand then goes through the chain.
Project 3: Ribbon Wrap Bracelet
This Ribbon Wrap Bracelet is the ultimate spring accessory; it totally reminds me of flowers, sunshine and nature. You can also use the same method with different types of ribbons to create a completely different vibe.
- Hand Dyed Silk Satin Ribbon Item# 33583 about 120 inches for a 7 inch bracelet
- Rhinestone trim (*this is actually from M&J Trimming as well, but I had this beforehand.)
- Hot glue gun
Project 4: Shoulder Trim Shirt
You can give some life to a plain old shirt by using gold trim to accent the shoulders. I love the way the trim hangs off the sleeves – it adds a sultry, flirty element. Regardless of what color shirt you choose, the gold trim will look amazing with any color.
1) Find the seam on the shoulder of your shirt. Line the trim along the seam and sew the edge of the trim to the edge of the shirt.
2) Sew the trim in the middle, with just a one or two simple stitches.
Project 5: Gold Trim Headband
This headband is my personal favorite; it can add some gypsy-inspired flair to any outfit, and will look great whether you have short or long hair.
- Gold Chain Item# 44522 (1.800.9.MJTRIM), about 13-15 inches
- Elastic, 7-8 inches
- Super glue1) First and only step – glue both ends of the trim to the elastic. Instant headband.
Project 6: Thread Tassel Keychain
Tassels are one of the hottest trends right now. You can easily make your own tassel with some thread, a pair of scissors and a small book. The best part? You can even use different colored threads to create fun, multi-colored tassels.