The summer heat has finally arrived. We crave it all year round, but once the hot air rolls in, we often wonder what to do with our hair. Rest assured these styles will inspire you on those days when you’re truly stuck in a rut. With flowers crowns, ribbons, bows, spikes, and rhinestones to chose from, what look will you be dabbling in this summer?
Pearls are one of the more classic trends of our time. Pearls can be styled in many ways ranging from modest studs to intricate couture work. Often showcasing a sophistication and maturity, pearls are great for everyone. Each of these DIY projects proves how accessible this trend is for everyone. Those of you who are more daring may opt for something a bit more extreme a la Alexander McQueen while those of you who want to dip your toes into the trend may want to start off with something simpler such as a beaded necklace. We hope you enjoy these DIY projects and don’t forget to tweet us your pearl inspired projects.
We’re back with another original DIY, this time brought to us by the awesome Candy of taylor & DEMOLISH. Keep reading to find out how to make these embellished cuffed jeans, and stop by taylor & DEMOLISH for more of Candy’s DIYs!Images via Around Lucia, Style Scrapbook, Tumblr, Sania Claus, Caroline’s Mode
I have been cuffing my jeans ever since the weather began to warm up in Manhattan and when I spotted these jeans from H&M’s upcoming Fall 2012 collection, I knew they would make the perfect DIY to add to my collection!
Medium blue skinny jeans
Seed beads (Mine are the cry luster colored beads from M&J Trimming)
1. Put jeans on and fold the cuff so it’s about 1.5 inches above your ankle. The cuff itself should be 2-3 inches long.
2. Using a couple stitches around the jeans, stitch the cuff to the jeans so it doesn’t unfold.
3. Split the number of large jewels that you have in half. Sew half individually onto the left cuff and half on the right. Make sure to space them evenly around the entire jean cuff.
4. Glue about 10-15 rhinestones to each cuff with the E6000 glue. Let rhinestones dry for about 30 minutes.
5. Fill in open gaps by sewing in the pearls. I used about 30 on each jean cuff.
6. Fill in any other open gaps you may find with your seed beads. I created loops of 5 beads each.
And there you have it! Cuff your jeans and expose this beautiful hidden treasure!
Meet our most recent DIY guru, blogger Aimee of SwellMayde.
Having interned for Rodarte and Nike, Aimee is now a designer working in Los Angeles while still finding time to update her blog with creative and inspiring DIY projects for us to recreate. Her most recent post features the JewelMint Renegade Necklace.
Aimee added a gorgeous twist to the simple necklace by adding yarn and pearls, which can purchase directly from us. Head over to SwellMayde to see the 9 easy steps to create this statement piece yourself!
We all love accessories, the bold pieces, the moonstone rings, the diamonds!, the chunky bracelets, the unusal pendants, I really could go on all day. The thing about this trends is that they come and go and comeback again, but one accessory that will never go is Pearls! They can be dressed up, dressed down, something to slip on to add a little life to your outfit or it can be your winning piece. Either way pearls are a girls best friend, now I don’t know about you but I can’t fit the real things in my budget right now so I use what I got. And what I got are some beautiful M&J Pearls on a Strand in multiple sizes, and why stop there buy every size and combine them for a fun and flirty look.
Some of My Favorites Wearing Pearls
The New Years Celebration is this week, so let the festivities begin! Of course when you go out, you need to look your best. If you want to stand out, make your own layered necklace made out of M&J’s chains and rhinestone buttons.
- 2 yards of Swarvoski Crystal Chain, Style# 44700 (1.800.9.mjtrim) (Limited Edition)
- 1 yard of 15mm Silver Chain, Style# 44522 (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 28” of 6mm Pearl Rosary Chain, Style# 44522 (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 1 70L/44mm Crystal Rhinestone Button, Style # 37501 (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 1 48L/30mm Crystal Rhinestone Button, Style# 37501 (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 1 40L/25mm Crystal Rhinestone Button, Style# 37501 (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- Connect the links to the Swarvoski Chain together. Twist and make two layers of it.
- Take the pearl chain and link the chain together. It should fall in between the Swarvoski chain.
- Take the silver chain, that one is going to be the longest and should fall last, buy jump rings and clasps to attach the back.
- Use wire to wired the buttons on to the chain.
With a few easy steps, create your own accessories. Its fun and affordable.You can take pieces of leather, chain and lace trim and make into a fashionable accessory.
- 8” of 6mm Rosary Pearl Chain, Cream Style #46543 (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 7” of 8mm Silver Chain, Style # 46311
- 1/2 yd of 10mm Flower Lace, Ivory Style#43880 (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 1/2 yd of Leather Cord, Dark Brown Style #16896 (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- Take the chain and lace, slide the lace into the link and make a knot, (leave enough lace to tie a knot in both ends for the bracelet), interlock the lace into the chain, then make another knot at the end of the link, then tie both ends together to make a bracelet.
- Take the pearl chain and attach the clasps at the end.
- Take the leather cord and wrap around your wrist three times and make a knot.
Or Wear them Separately!
Thought buttons were only for clothes? Well not anymore…. There are so many ways you can use buttons to dress your outfits, and I don’t mean on your clothes. Here is a fun brooch made out of buttons. It’s easy and affordable, you can use any buttons you want. I made this brooch with metal and pearl buttons.
- 1 metal button 36L/ 23mm, Style # 45171 Nickel (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 1 metal button 24L/15mm, Style # 45171 Nickel (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 1 metal button 20L/13mm, Style # 47171 Nickel (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 1 pearl button 8mm, Style # 27592 Pearl
- 1 pearl button 10mm, Style # 27592 Pearl
- Pliers, Style # 44059 (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- 1.5” Bar-pins, Style # 74756 Silver (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- E 6000 Glue, Style # 37777
- Take the pliers and cut the shanks off the buttons. Note: the largest button maybe hard to cut shank off, you don’t have to cut that one off.
- Take the largest button and apply glue in the back of the button and glue it on to the pin back. Glue it directly next to the shank. Take the 24l/15mm button (which is the next size down) and apply glue on the back. Glue part of the button on the large and the other part on the pin back.
- Do the same with the smaller button, Apply glue on the back and glue part of it on the button and part of it on the pin back.
- take the bigger pearl and glue it a little to the side of the small metal button.
- then take the small pearl button and glut it next to the bigger pearl and directly on to the pin back.
The weather is feeling pretty nice lately and that usually means it is time to pretty up. So here is this week’s round-up of DIY accessory.
To give that classic yet chic pretty girl look that has been seen all over the street and magazines lately, we’ll be working with pearls and chromspun grosgrain ribbon.
This project is quite easy and only takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Thread (Matching thread to the ribbon or clear thread)
- 60″ strand of of the 3MM pearls
- 5 – 8MM large pearls
- 2 - 4MM small pearls
- 2.5 yard of Chromspun Grosgrain Ribbon
- Prepare your needle and thread for at least 20″ long.
- Prepare your chromspun ribbon, but flipping it back and forth and cut after you have flipped the amount of loops you would like to create. I flipped mine about 3 times then strung the needle through it.
- Add the 8MM pearl and repeat step 2.
- Add the 4MM pearl and repeat step 2.
- Repeat the steps until you finish the design and then tie a knot to keep the last loops of ribbon in place.
- With your 60″ long strand of pearls, loop it so that it’s layered like in the image. Tie clear thread at the top so the pearls stay in place.
- Using a needle, sew the design of pearls and ribbon into place to the pearls at the bottom.
- Now you’re all done and ready to show of your work!