If you’ve ever wanted to realize your inner goddess, we have the first step to your transformation. This epic statement necklace features chunky pendants, chains in an assortment of sizes and shapes, and beautiful beaded trim.
2 5/8” Bugle/Seed Beaded Fringe
1 1/4” Square Linked Chain
1 1/8” Metallic Circle Chain
Gold Sunflower Pendant
13mm Small Round Rope Chain
1. Create a long necklace using your small round chain. Add a jump ring and lobster clasp to the back.
2. Lay the necklace out in an oval. Place a piece of the square chain to the center. Connect the corners with jump rings. Attach the jump rings to smaller pieces of the small round chain.
3. Take the larger round chain and attach pieces to each side.
4. Repeat step 3 with the small round chain.
5. Add the teardrop pendants to the bottom on each side, and one on the top overlaying the square chain.
6. Add the sunflower pendant to the bottom center.
7. Cut a 5 inch piece of the beaded fringe. Fold over and glue each ribbon side together, then glue the ribbon to the back of the sunflower pendant so that only the fringe is exposed.
8. Create a smaller fringe pieces doing the same process in step 7. This time add a hole in the center. Add a jump ring and attached on to each side next to the teardrop pendent in the center.
Spice up your Sunday afternoon with a few DIYs that are bound to make your autumn outfits a little more interesting. Add some spikes and nailheads to your craft kit, and whip up a few of these edgy necklaces!
What’s sassier than a fringe necklace? A fringe necklace with studs of course!
This gorgeous necklace from Trinkets in Bloom can be worn over something feminine to give it an edge, or rock it with skinny jeans and a tee for a total punk rock look!
This studded necklace from Home Heart Craft offers a more casual.
This incredible necklace from Chic Steals is perfect for a date night outfit! We love the look of layered spikes and the dimension it adds to the piece.
Necklaces are the standard when it comes to dressing up your neck, but sometimes it’s better to do your own thing and really make a statement! Stand out from the flock with this gorgeous feather collar. It’s so simple to make, and looks so elegant on.
What You’ll Need:
4-5 Light Blue Feather Patches #42641
2 White Beaded Jewel Feather Patches #43077
Hook and Eyes #43922
1. Create a collar that fits your neck out of felt, and cut it out.
2. Starting at the back, lay your light blue feather patches down. Make sure that the tips of the feathers are pointing out when you get to the end of the collar.
3. Take the next two light blue patches and repeat the same step but further down the collar. Glue down.
4. Lay the white feather patches on the tips of the collar where the closing will be. Leave a little space for the hook and eye. Glue feathers down.
5. Sew your hook and eye onto the tips of the collar for closing.
Check out our selection of feathers and other materials that would work really well for variations of this DIY!
The presents have been wrapped, the cookies have been iced, and the seasonal DIYs are done. Well..almost. Before you throw out that holiday ribbon that’s wrapping your present, give it another glance. Ribbon is like DIY platinum. It’s a great resource to DIY with! Trust us on this one. We went all the way back into the M&J Archives and dug up some of our favorite ways to use ribbon, along with updated seasonal suggestions!
Use a beautiful solid-colored ribbon to show off some jewels. This DIY would be easy to recreate with some of our rhinestone buttons or appliques!
If you’re left with a lot of the same seasonal ribbon, use it to spruce up your winter decor! Gold or rich velvet ribbons would look great against a dark winter curtain. Need a little more hold for heavier curtains? Secure the curtain with a thick craft wire first, then wrap the ribbon around it and tie a beautiful bow!
Pearls add fun to the sophisticated look of pearls by making this cool ribbon and pearl necklace!
Reuse that ribbon to accent a basic shirt. Imagine how pretty a bright red shirt would look with this plaid ribbon as an accent.
We hope these suggestions have shown some new light on those oft-forgotten ribbons. Now that you have those ribbons safety stashed, go enjoy some cookies and watch Home Alone already! From all of us at M&J Trimming, we wish you a very merry Christmas, and happy holidays!
If you want to jazz up your outfit without having to get out of your comfy tee and favorite jeans, we have a fashionable suggestion. Throw on a statement necklace! Dainty chains need not apply because this piece is meant to draw some attention! The easiest way to get your hands on one of these style lifesavers is to make it. Here are a few of our favorites to try out TODAY! You’ll thank us on Monday.
The New Nautical
A Beautiful Mess’s braided statement necklace made from parachute cord is to die for! We’re always a huge fan of anything neon, hence why we’re one of the only places WE know that carries neon studs.
This simple ribbon and chain necklace from Fall for DIY is making our creative gears turn. The combinations we could make out of M&J ribbons and chains is practically endless! We’re doing this. Today.
Bold and Beautiful
This stacked necklace from A Pair and a Spare makes a serious statement. It takes a few different necklaces to get this over-the-top look that’s guaranteed to turn heads!
We made a Prada-inspired necklace last spring that is screaming to be shared again! It’s so easy to jazz up some simple acrylic chain to make an outfit impact.
Our friends at Refinery29 made this stunning black statement necklace, perfect for breaking your style out of the doldrums!
Have we convinced you to make a statement yet? Good! We can’t wait to see them!
Every month we make it a point to bring you the most cutting-edge and trendy collections, and we work with our designers to produce top-quality projects using only the best materials. November’s collection was inspired by a tough girl whose story (and style) stands the test of time. We’re talking about the one and only Joan of Arc!
We created the Joan of Arc collection with her persona and era in mind. Think lots of chainmail, mixed metals, and pieces that are strong with a feminine edge.
Our first project is a mixed metal cuff that screams tough girl glam! One of Joan of Arc’s most inspiring attributes was her ability to be a great leader through mountains of adversity. The idea of a teenage girl leading an army into battle was absolutely unheard of! Plus she wore pants and had a cropped haircut, style icon much? Channel your inner Joan, and be the leader of the fashion pack with this gold and gutsy cuff!
Our second project is this beautiful necklace that is sure to make a statement anywhere you go! The thick metal chains are reminiscent of the chainmail Joan may have worn in battle, but the silver tubing give the chains a modern edge. We chose the bronze statement pendant because it looked similar to a glammed-up shield.
We hope you enjoy this month’s Joan of Arc collection, and embrace your inner warrior with this fierce jewelry! Which project are you looking forward to making? If you’re interested in making these beautiful pieces, subscribe to Project DIY today!
At M&J Trimming we have no qualms about our love of lace. This Renaissance-inspired DIY is perfect for those ladies who share our love of the dainty look of white lace.
What You’ll Need:
Stretch Lace #57291
Oval Woman Head Cameo #41584
1. Take your lace trim, and wrap it around your neck to measure how much you will need. Leave a little overlap so you have room to place the snap closures.
2. Open your snap, and glue the stud to one end of the lace trim.
3. Take the other half of your snap, the socket, and place it on the opposite side of the other end. You’re trying to create a closure so that you can wrap the lace around your neck. 4. Place your cameo button in the center of the choker, and glue it down. Let the project dry at least 3 hours!
There you have it Madame! Wear your choker to your next grand ball, or just out for the night when you’re feeling extra feminine. Love our lace? Take a look at some of the other lace styles we have in stock! Looking for more inspiration? Check out our Medieval Renaissance Inspiration page for trim and notions that are fit for a queen!
Top 5 Floral D.I.Y’s
This week we are obsessed with floral prints. The once girly print has transitioned itself into a wearable everyday piece. Each of these D.I.Y Bloggers has showcased a floral project in a diverse way making these blogger our top 5 d.i.y’s of the week. Click on the images for the full tutorials on each piece and stay tuned on Tuesday for our take on the spring trend.
Swell Mayde’s D.I.Y Floral Denim Shorts
Free People’s D.I.Y Denim Repair
Home Heart Craft’s floral bib necklace
Fashion Diva Design’s Floral Necklace
Fuji Files’s D.I.Y Flower Crown
We are big fans of collars and have seen them all over our favorite magazines and blogs. We are now in love with necklaces in the shape of collars and bibs. They look great on oxford shirts and thrown over our favorite worn-in tees. We searched the web for DIY collar necklaces that we could make ourselves and these are our top 5!
And don’t forget…our Winter sale ends tonight at 11:59pm. So hurry and get 50% off select buttons, ribbons, fringe, and leather trims!
DIY Chain Collar Necklace via Hello, Whimsy
DIY Rhinestone Collar Necklace via taylor & DEMOLISH
DIY Marc by Marc Jacobs Collar Necklace via Court & Hudson
DIY Chain Collar Necklace via A Pair and A Spare
DIY Rhinestone Collar Necklace via Where Did U Get That