By request we have extended our sale to cyber monday. Take advantage of the great savings. All items are 20% off, including Swarovski Rhinestones. To redeem your discount please use the coupon code: cybermonday20 and click on apply.
Trying to gather some ideas for holiday gifts? Well, you’re in luck. It is known that M&J Trimming is a destination for inspiration, so to inspire you we will add new DIY Holiday Gift Idea videos up every week. Starting with the first episode, Blerona takes you on a tour in our NYC’s 5,000 sq ft showroom.
We mentioned last week that there is a special gift coming your way. It has finally arrived. Set your alarm clock for 12AM EST on November 27th and use the coupon code: blackfriday15offmj to get 15% off your entire purchase. That includes all Swarovski rhinestones. Along with your discount, you’ll also received a free measuring tape; which comes in quite handy when you’re working on a new project. This is special promotion is for one day only! So take advantage of this 24 hour special! Remember that you get free UPS ground shipping when you spend $75 or more.
So, as many of you may or may not already know, I am absolutely in love with beaded fringe and certainly cuffs. This week I’ve decided to combine my two loves, and am loving the result. Hope you dig it too.
- ½ yard 3” beaded fringe
- 1 package of ss30 nail heads
- Scarp denim (I used a piece 2 ½” wide and 9” long. The length measurement depends upon your wrist size. Take your measurement and add 2”)
- Craft glue
- 1 12” separating zipper
- Ez rhinestone setter or you could use the side of a pencil t o finish the prongs of your nail heads
- Needle and thread
- Cut your denim into 4 equal sections and cut 3 pieces of fringe 2 ½” pieces.
- I used a little glue to secure the pieces of fringe between 2 pieces of my denim and stitched. Stitch as close to the twill tape of the fringe as possible so that it will not be visible from the other side.
- Mark two columns down the two center panels of your denim cuff. My marks are 1/2” apart.
- Apply nail heads at your marks
- Fold the ends of your cuff over ¼”, you may press this down or secure it with a little glue or stitch.
- Attach the bottom portion of your zipper to finished ends. To shorten the zipper cut the top portion off, then using a needle and thread wrap some thread around the top tooth. Doing so will keep the zipper from coming off the teeth.
- Wear and Enjoy!
The holiday is coming closer everyday and of course we cannot celebrate such a special day without giving back to our most valuable customers. Be sure to check back often on our website, blog, facebook, twitter and of course our emailer to find out exactly what your gift is.
If you have not yet signed up for our emailer, you can sign-up by clicking here. We send our emailers out once a week with information on new products, special promotions and discounts.
Over the past month I have been posting ideas and instructions for creating your Halloween costumes. It has been a very busy month and I was unfortunately unable to post everything that I would have liked to, so I’ve decided to do a little recap of the events held here at M&J and share a couple of last minute ideas from a basic garment that everyone has in their closet that maybe useful next year.
The Halloween DIY bar went over very successfully. People brought in all kinds of things to embellish and take to the next level. My favorite was a bustier that was part of a mail order bride costume. We embellished it to the max using everything from feathers, chains, sequin, beading, and nailheads. Masquerade masks were created, an Elvis costume adorned, and cat woman accessories made saucier. The event took place Fri evening in the store; it was the first of what I hope will become an annual event here at M&J.
One of the things I wanted to show people this year for Halloween was that costumes can easily be created from pieces already in your closet. I made a couple of simple pieces from men’s white button down shirts. The process in seven steps was easy and fun to do.
- First you will need a white button down shirt, this can be oversized.
- 10 D rings
- 5 yards of 1 ¼” webbing style: 42216-0 (1-800-9-mjtrim) and 2 yards 1/14” twill tape. You could use twill tape for the entire project if you prefer.
1. Remove the top portion of the collar as well as the sleeve cuffs, front pocket, and buttons.
2. Cut the webbing into
Four 10” pieces finish 1 end by folding 1” over and secure
Four 16” pieces finish both ends
Two 25” pieces finish 1 end on one and both ends on the other
3. Finish around the sleeves and the bottom with twill tape. If the bottom of the shirt is not straight you will need to cut it even.
4. Attach 10” pieces equally apart on the left side of the center front of the shirt. Leave 1 ½” extra, slip 2 d rings through this and secure to inside of the shirt.
5. Attach the 16” pieces to the right side at same intervals leaving 8” free.
6. Attach about 4” of the 25” pieces to sleeves and then attach 2 d rings to the left.
7. Attach strip of webbing down center back starting 4” below neck line. Attach 5” of webbing at top stop and attach 9” at bottom. Same piece, you want a gap so that the arms can be thread through.
Ukrainian Folk Costume Inspired Shirt
- 1 white collard button down
- 2 tassels
- 1 yard cluny lace
- 3 yards 62mm jacquard ribbon
- 1 ½ yard 12mm jacquard ribbon
- ½ yard cording
1. Measure 2” from neckline and mark all the way around, cut.
2. Remove sleeve cuffs and pockets.
3. Measure down center front of shirt; add 2 inches to that measurement. Cut two pieces of the 62 mm jacquard equal to the measurement from before and apply to front of the shirt; finish ends by folding over.
4. Cut another piece of the 62mm jacquard and apply to front of neck by tacking the front down push up a wave and tack. Continue around entire neckline.
5. Add tassels and cording to the back of the shirt at the center front neck line.
6. Cut cluny lace in half; apply to the sleeve 4” down from shoulder seam finish ends.
7. Apply 12mm jacquard around sleeve opening, use what’s left and apply at the edge of cluny lace at the top of the sleeve.
The belt is simply a jacquard ribbon 1 1/2 yard long wrapped and pinned.
When it comes to Halloween many of us enjoy dressing up and pretending to be someone we’re not for just one day. However, there are certain years like this one, when we wonder if a $100 costume is practical. With the economy the way it is, some people are going the other route for Halloween.
If you don’t feel like wearing a costume this year, then you also have the option of wearing the colors of the holiday. The great part is that you can reuse the outfit later on for other special occasions. You can wear an orange dress and use black ribbons as a sash. Then top it off with black leggings and shoes. If you really want to make it stand out, then also use unique stitch fabric glue to add some loose sequins to your leggings. That’s all it takes to look great for a fun night out. If you don’t want to wear an orange dress, then wear your little black dress with orange ribbon sash and orange accessories like a ribbon bow with applique headband.
We recently added a new feature on our blog. You can now rate the content of the each post. After you finish reading an article, scroll down until you see the stars and choose how many stars you give the post. It is quick, easy and imformative to other readers. Your rating will also help us decide on new post that you might enjoy reading.
It’s officially M&J Trimmings 73rd Birthday!
The promotion has officially began. Starting now until 11:59pm, when you spend $100 or more at www.MJTRIM.com, you receive a $25 gift coupon to redeem online. Only purchases made on August 13, 2009 will apply for this promotion. This special is unheard of at M&J Trimming, but today we wanted to share it with you!
Remember, you can also get this special offer when you order via phone at 1-800-9-MJTRIM also. However, last order over the phone will be at 6pm EST. Happy Birthday, everyone!
Celebrating 73 Years!
How to receive your $25 gift coupon:
- Log into your account, if you don’t have one, please create one.
- Browse through the website and add the items you’d like into the shopping cart.
- When you’re ready and shopping cart has reached $100 or more, check out as normal.
- Within 1-2 business days you will receive an e-mail from a M&J Trimming representative with your coupon code, worth $25.
- To qaulify for this promotion, your order must be made on August 13, 2009 only.
Terms and Conditions:
- The gift coupon from M&J Trimming, worth $25 is valid and redeemable at www.MJTRIM.com only. It is not valid in the New York City retail store.
- The gift coupon is valid on your next online purchase only.
- In order to redeem your $25 gift coupon on you next purchase, the order must have a minimum of $25 in your checkout cart.
- The coupon is not valid with any other sales, promotions, coupons or special offers.
- No cash value.
- Valid only to the specific individual it is assigned to.
- Unauthorized distribution or duplication is not accepted.
This one day promotion ends on August 13, 2009 at 11:59pm EST
- Expires December 31, 2009