We’ve been going nuts over knots the last few days, and we’ve finally decided to do something about it! We wanted a nautical-inspired accessory that could add a little class to any outfit, while also looking casual and simple. We created a knotted necklace using twist cord and tape in red and navy, but you can customize the materials to make this knotted necklace in whatever colors and styles you like!
What You’ll Need:
3/16” Rayon Twist Cord (keep the ends secured with tape to prevent fraying)
1/4” Heavy Apron Tape
1. Using two sets of two cords, create the knot above by following the arrows above.
2. Measure to make sure the necklace is your desired length, and cut off any excess.
3. As you cut, add glue and apron tape to the ends. Cut and glue each end one by one to prevent fraying.
4. Add E6000 to the inside of the end cap, and insert the cord tip into the end cap.
5. Attach jump rings to each end cap, one jump ring for two cords.
6. Add a lobster clasp to one end of the necklace.
It’s that time of the year to start saving on glamorously beautiful Swarovski Flatback rhinestones. Save 10% starting right now until March 22nd at 11:59 p.m. EST. It’s only a 2 day sale, so hurry and let’s get started.
If your throwing any parties this spring, favor boxes can be the perfect gift to give to your guests at birthday parties, bridal and baby showers, engagement parties and more. And what better way to be creative then to make and embellish your own. Here are five different boxes we made themed around Spring, two of these boxes we made by printing a PDF pattern on hard stock paper, from Ruffled.com . You too can purchase small boxes at any paper store or you can buy colorful paper, download the free patterns (here) and make your own spring Favor Boxes. Either way make sure you have fun!
What We Used:
5/8″ Single Faced Satin Ribbon Item# 00297 in Tornado Blue
Rhinestone Heart Buckle Item# 32413 in Silver (1.800.9.MJTRIM)
5/8″ Single Faced Satin Ribbon Item# 00297 in Lite Orchid
Victorian Lace Flower Motif Item# 43559 in Lt Purple (1.800.9.MJTRIM)
5/8″ Single Faced Satin Ribbon Item# 00297 in Spring Moss
Rhinestone Sprays Item# 26288 in Lt Amethyst
Download PDF Pattern
5/8″ Single Faced Satin Ribbon Item# 00297 in Silver
Download PDF Pattern
5/8″ Single Faced Satin Ribbon Item# 00297 in Antique White
Turkey Feather Fringe Item# 45222 in White
3 or 4 Loose Pearls in White
Other Needed Tools: Scissors & Glue
My favorite part of the year is finally here. The holidays to me means fun gatherings, fun decorations and great presents. I love decorating for the holidays. You can either shop for new decorations or, what I love to do, make my own. Here is a decoration you can wrap your Christmas tree or around you house, it made of paillettes.
- Take Needle and thread. Take a paillette and put needle through it. Once the paillette is through, tie a knot. You do this with every paillette, 1 inch apart from eachother.
- Make it as long as you want, when your a done, tie a knot at the end.
Halloween is right around the corner. Don’t have much time to find a costume? Well make your own by using jewels and trims here at M & J. Here is a jeweled and nail head in-crested mask. To make it more fun we added feathers on top. Its the best way to make your costume and really call it your own.
- Create your own pattern by sticking the rhinestones where you desire.
- Gluing the nail heads is pretty simple, push the prongs behind the nail head inside.Then the put glue on the nail head and glue on to the mask.
- Take pieces of the feather trim and keep gluing pieces till the top of the mask is covered with feathers.
- If you wish, you can randomly glue rhinestones on to the feathers.
Hi Everyone! Welcome back from the long weekend. I hope everyone had a good time off and enjoyed the summer weather. I have an annoucement today for those who are fans of Swarovski Rhinestones! Until July 7th 2010 at 11:59pm EST, when you spend $250 or more on Swarovski Flatback or Hotfix, you get $25 Off your entire purchase! Great time to save some extra $$ on your purchase. With your purchase, you’ll also qualify for Free UPS Ground Shipping (Continental US Only).
$25 Off Your Entire Purchase
When You Spend $250 or more on
Swarovski Rhinestone Flatbacks or Hotfix!
Special Ends: July 7th 2010 @ 11:59pm EST!
Coupon Code: 25offsmrrs
I recently became quite excited about this multi chain and chainmail combo and decided to incorporate it into this week’s project. Inspired by Fiona Paxton’s jewelry this project is a bit more involved than some of my earlier posts, but with a little patience the result is stunning. A lot of hand work is involved, but don’t let this intimidate you. If you are really not interested in taking that plunge a similar look can be achieved by sewing together some embellished appliqués to mimic the breastplate.
- 1 to1 ¼ yards multi chain, to purchase call 1-800-9-mjtrim
- Metal sequins
- Glass sew on jewels
- Beading thread
- Tulle, preferably a heavy one such as crinoline net
- Scissors, hand needle, and needle nose pliers
- Multi strand jewelry clasp
- Jump rings, amount needed depends on your jewelry clasp
- Cut a piece of tulle 9”x 7”.
- Fold the tulle in thirds so that your piece now measures 3”x 7”. If you are using cotton tulle you can use an iron to create firm creases, if you are working with nylon spray starch is best.
- Begin to embellish. I started with the glass sew on jewels and sort of placed them randomly. Be sure you leave a ¼” around the sides of your soon to be breastplate. I made the mistake of not doing so and attaching the chain was a little messy.
- I next added the large piallettes and then used the metal sequins to fill in.
- Decide where you would like the plate to sit. Take a measurement around the neck and add 26” to accommodate the additional length of the breastplate and hanging ends.
- Divide this measurement in half and cut two pieces of the multi chain.
- Attach one side of the plate to the chain beginning 6” from the bottom. I attached the chain by stitching it to the tulle through the chainmail pieces only.
- Attach your multi strand jewelry clasp to the chain using jump rings.
- Wear and enjoy
There are many simple ways to add some fun and color to your clothes. Whether being something you already own or a new purchase you want to spruce up. I would like to share with you a quick way too embellish your clothing using rhinestones and a rhinestone setting. I choose to embellish a small portion of the pocket of these jeans.
- Choose the rhinestones you would like to work with and accompanying setting.
- Using a fabric marker or chalk draw your rhinestone design. It works best to do this on the back of the fabric since you will position your fabric face down in the setter.
- Place your rhinestone on the bottom part of the rhinestone setter and place the nose at the top of the setter through the rhinestone setting.
- Place your fabric in between the two face down and press firmly .
If you’re a follower of M&J Trimming’s weekly e-mailer, then you may be excited to hear about our new feature. Starting this week, every e-mailer we send from now on will have a special promotion, offer or discount exclusively for those who are on our e-mailer list. If you haven’t signed up to receive our e-mailer, then this is the time to do it now. Be sure to check your inbox for our e-mails because the promotion of the week will only be for a limited time.
Sign-up for our emailer by clicking here.
Get 15% off your online purchase today when you sign-up for any of our emailers.
Shop online with M&J Trimming often? Well know you can let us know what you thought of the product you purchased. These reviews are great for helping other M&J Trimming shopper know how well a product is liked, so the next time your looking at a trimming, you will be able to read what other shoppers thought of it.
Just click on the trimming of your choice and hit the reviews tab to put your review in or read what others thought.