Spring is finally here but don’t pack up your winter gear just yet…well your leather that is. Leather is in for Spring. Designers such as Alexander Wang, Bottega Veneta, Versace and Rodarte have incorporated leather into much of their Spring collections. Below are some of our favorite pieces that we’re looking to recreate.
Love leather as much as we do? Get inspiration from M&J on Pinterest or check out our website MJTrim.com
I am very much in love with two of this season’s biggest trends, feathers and fringe. Designers are using these two elements to embellish everything from clothing, jewelry, and accessories, and I am looking for any way to incorporate them into my wardrobe. As I am searching my closet I find a pair of gladiator sandals from last summer and decide they are perfectly in need of a make over. By adding just two simple trims to a past “must have” I now posses this summer’s hottest look.
To Get the Look:
- 1 yard of 2” faux leather fringe. M&J carries leather fringe in many different styles, colors, and sizes. So please, take a look and be creative.
- 1 yard of feather fringe. Style #26796 in Turquoise available by calling 1-800-9-MJTRIM
- 1 pair of sandals
- 1 bottle of Sobo Craft Glue.
- 1 leather needle.
- 1 spool of thread, rayon or a cotton/poly blend work best.
- If you are using a pair from your closet, clean them first.
- Next measure down the center vertical strap.
- Cut two pieces of the fringe about a ¼” longer than strap measurement. I like to dap just a touch of glue on the ends of the fringe to keep it from fraying and coming apart.
- Using glue tack the center of each piece of fringe down the center strap of your sandal. Let this set up for about 45 minutes.
- You may skip this step if you wish, I choose to do it because I like the way it keeps my work in place while I am trying to sew by hand.
- Using your leather needle begin to stitch the fringe to the strap.
- Using glue once again top the two center pieces of fringe with your feather trim. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
- You may carefully stitch the feather trim down using your leather needle, I would use a very thin thread, being careful to hide all stitches.
- Wear, enjoy!
This morning, M&J Trimming was featured on the Today Show with Bobbie Thomas. As the guru of fashionable DIY, Bobbie showed us how to do some easy Spring trends with decorative suede and leather fringe. You’ll definitely see more fringes this season.
Click here to read the article or click on the images below to watch the segment.
Featured Ultra Suede Fringe on NBC Today Show