M&J Trimming’s was recently featured on NBC’s Martha Stewart Show on October 9th. Kristin along with Martha embellished some hoodie’s and created some fun crafty costumes. Besides having to be careful about the candies on Halloween, parents also have to worry about the health of their children. Especially since Halloween night is usually a little chilly. Which means kids can’t stay out trick or treatin’ for long. However, Kristin and Martha came up with some really fun ideas for creating a DIY costume while keeping warm simply by embellishing hoodies with items from M&J Trimming. You can find the template and more information on how you and your children can create your own fun costumes at MarthaStewart.com.
Let’s admit it, the popularity of crochet has been around for decades and it’s only growing everyday. Since Fall is just around the corner, I’ve been seeing more and more women doing some crochet work on the bus, subway and even during their lunch break. I do a little crochet work also. Mostly baby blankets and scarves as gifts for friends and family. It beats laying around doing nothing when I’m at home.
Anyways, I wrote a blog a few months back called “Creativity Mixed In A Blender“. In that blog, I had a few pictures of some crochet appliques that M&J Trimming does not have online. So for this blog, I wanted to show everyone a few more crochet appliques that are not listed online. However, you can order them by calling customer service at 1.800.9.MJTRIM. Keep in mind that customer service is only available from 9am to 6pm EST and that’s from Monday to Friday.
Got boring sheets? Tired of plain old cotton sheets? Me too. But there is a solution to mundane nights. Ladies and gentlemen…lace never dies. Trimming your bed-sheets with lace does not have to mean transforming your sleeping quarters to grandma’s doily collection. Lace comes in so many different patterns and designs that it’s easy to select one that suits your style. *Machine sewing parts of this project are recommended for a more professional finish. *
- Good old fashion elbow grease because you may be hand-sewing parts of this project.
- Iron + Ironing board
- Sheet set + 2 pillowcases
- Four yards of lace for a full or queen sheet set and 2 pillowcases -OR- five yards of lace for a king sheet set + two pillow cases. I chose the 88mm Cotton Eyelet Lace. Style #38903 for my sheets. If you are looking for a something a little less soft than regular lace, you should try metallic lace for a more modern look.
- Needle and thread to match the lace
- Sewing Machine
- Preshrink your sheets if they are new
- Preshrink your lace if it is 100% cotton on the gentle cycle and I recommend putting it in a lingerie garment bag or tied pillow case to protect it. No need to preshrink if it is a cotton blend.
- Iron sheets + pillowcases
- Cut two 41″ pieces of lace for the pillowcases. The rest will be for the top sheet.
- Fold one piece of lace in half, right side in and hem the two ends together with a ½ inch seam allowance. Repeat with second pillow case piece. Press open seams with iron.
- Pin lace loops right side out onto the pillowcases so the top lines up with the hem on the cases. Machine-sew the top edge of the lace to the pillowcase. Remember to backstitch! Hand sew all other parts of the lace down the pillow cases…the need for this step can be omitted if the lace you choose looks better free-flowing.
- Lay the remaining piece of lace across the top hem of the flat sheet. Fold ½” at each end of the lace around the back of the sheet + press + hem.
- Machine hem the top edge of the lace across the width of the sheet. Hand-sew the rest as needed.
- Make your bed, turn on some tunes and take a nap. You deserve it.
With hundreds of people visiting M&J Trimming in NYC everyday, you can image how busy the store is. Every person who walks into the store has a mind for creations of his or her own.
Customers storm the store with amazing ideas on using M&J’s products. It’s great to know that our products can bring their creations to life.
I wanted to share with you today what some customers have been using the products for. For instance, last week a young lady stepped into the store in search for some sequins and matching organza ribbons. While assisting her I had asked what the items were going to be used for. She said that she works for a make-up company and they were holding a special event promoting a new product. Therefore, she wanted to artistically embellish the sales girls with some sequins along the side of their face and tie the organza as a bow around the neck. I would have never imaged using the items in this way. It’s amazing how creative people’s mind can get.
Some of the more popular trend is of course, bedazzling cell phones with Swarovski rhinestones. None other than Paris Hilton started this addictive trend. Today, many customers storm the store in search for the perfect color to match their phones as well as ipods, headphones, shoes and clothes. The list goes on forever when it comes to bedazzling projects and garments. It’s so easy and the sparkles are definitely irresistible.
At M&J we try very hard to place all of our items online. However, it’s not as easy as many may think. The process is long due to the fact that we must precisely take photos that best represent the true item, but today I’m able to share with you some photos of items that are available for purchase by calling our customer service.
The items you see are cute little sew-on cotton appliqués. I saw these and wasn’t sure what to use them for yet, but you can be sure that I will use them in my future projects. Some costumers have been using these for knitted projects such as scarves, hats, blankets, sweaters and the list goes on forever.
I’m sure you also have some creative ideas. I’d love to hear about them. There’s no need to be shy.