The 4th of July is almost upon us, so of course we’ve been getting ready with some American-themed DIYs! We found some awesome starred and striped ribbon in our store, so we jazzed up a pair of denim shorts and gave them some patriotic spirit. Keep reading to find out how to make it yourself!
1. Lay the starred ribbon over the top of the back pocket of your shorts, then cut it so it perfectly fits across the top of the pocket. Cut another piece of the same size. While the starred ribbon is still placed at the top of the pocket, place the striped ribbon underneath and cut it so it fits across the middle of the pocket. Cut another piece of the same size. Use the same process to create two bottom strips of the starred ribbon.
2. Flip the top piece of the starred ribbon over and add some glue to the back. Place it on the top of the back pocket and press down while glue dries.
3. Continue to glue down the other pieces of ribbon, making sure you have a starred piece at the top, then a striped piece, then another starred piece. Do this for both pockets.
4. Let the glue dry, then you’re all set. Pair your shorts with a flowy white top and a bright red bag, and rock them at 4th of July celebration!
Calling all crafters! In celebration of the 4th of July, we’re having a Three Day Independence Day Sale. Save 15% off the entire site! (Yes, you read that right – the entire site). Sale ends at July 4, 2012 11:59pm EST. And don’t forget to connect to us on Twitter (@mjtrim) and let us know what you’re getting!
When I sat down to do this entry I was a little scared. Americana fashion is hard to do without looking cheesy. I don’t know, that’s just my opinion. However, I really think that by incorporating our colors into today’s hottest trends the look can be quite hip. Wear this piece with a white tank as to not over do it.
- Ultra suede tape 10 yards of both white and cardinal, and 3 ½ yards in French blue
- Sobo craft glue
- Jewelry wire
- Wire clippers
- Cord necklace fastener. I choose to use a magnetic fastener, be sure that it will be large enough to hide all the ends of the leather.
- Cut the red and white suede into strips 36 long and the blue into strips 20” long.
- Take all the red and white and 3 strips of the blue together and wire wrap the end.
- I then pinned this end to a board and gathered the other side with the other 3 strips of the blue and draped to the other side of my board.
- If you like pull on some of the leather strips at the unwrapped end to create different lengths in the necklace.
- Once you have the desired look, gather the other ends, trim, and wire wrap. Trim the blue hanging strips so they have a staggered appearance.
- Using Sobo craft glue, glue the wrapped ends of your necklace into the magnetic fastener.