Not only did the 2013 Met Gala bring art enthusiasts and fashion designers together, it brought our city together. Each year that the Met Gala takes place the city becomes a bit more vibrant. The punk theme truly brought nostalgia to the city and encouraged everyone to dress the part. We loved how each starlet had fun with their looks and we’re dying to DIY our own punk project.
FEATHERSSarah Jessica Parker rocked a Giles gown with a custom Philip Treacy headpiece and plaid Louboutins
Kristen Dunst wore a Louis Vuitton feathered frock
Amar’e Stoudemire’s pregnant wife Alexis Stoudemire wore a feather enhanced Giambattista Valli couture gown.
Jennifer Morrison stunned in a black lace Donna Karan number.
Kristen Stewart opted for a lace embellished Stella McCartney pantsuit.
Rooney Mara, the co-host of the evening selected an ivory lace Givenchy gown with zipper accents.
Donatella Versace wore her own spike enhanced gown.
Cameron Diaz donned a sleek blue Stella McCartney dress.
Sienna Miller was very punk in her Burberry ensemble.
Supermodels, Celebs, and music lovers rejoiced at Coachella 2013. The California based music festival brought people together to celebrate musicians, comedians and fashion. As we scanned through instagram envious of those soaking up the sun in Cali we admired the many cropped tops, studded shorts and floral headpieces donned by the crowd. Below are some of our favorite looks we can’t wait to recreate.
We’ve always loved Black Swan, especially the gorgeous and elaborate costumes. Our latest mood board is inspired by the thriller, and we think a black swan-inspired costume would be perfect for Halloween. We’re thinking: black feather skirts, embellished trim, and a sultry lace mask. Wouldn’t it also be fun to DIY a cute pair of ballet flats? Check out some more of our inspiration below!
We’re having a sale on all of our feather trims, so it’s the perfect time to dream up some feather DIYs. From earrings to clutches to headbands, you can DIY just about anything with a few feathers, and we love the bohemian vibe that they give off. If you’re interested, all of our feather trims and appliques are 15% off until 7/29/12 at 11:59 PM PST. Check out some of our favorite feathery looks below to get inspired.
images via ToniMay, The Blonde Salad, Contra, Jestem Kasia
The Handbag Collective Pop-Up on Friday, August 19th was a spectacular event. M&J Trimming was excited to be part of the seminar, educating new designers on how to create their best handbag with M&J Trimmings. And for those who couldn’t make it, I thought I would send some inspiration your way!
When you think of handbag trimming’s what comes to mind- D-Rings, handles, chains and buckles? Take a closer look. Trimming on handbags are everywhere, they are the little details that make the bag beautiful and unique. The feathers, fur, nailheads, leather detail, trinkets and pendants. The unique buckles, hidden snaps, metal, shell, and novelty buttons, zippers, pop-pom and Leather Fringe, and some Swarovski sew-ons of course; truth is I could go on forever. Depending on the designer you never know what kind of trim you will find. Take a peek at your own bags to see what I mean!
Here are some inspiration photos of displays we had the Handbag Collective Pop-Up!
Halloween is right around the corner. Don’t have much time to find a costume? Well make your own by using jewels and trims here at M & J. Here is a jeweled and nail head in-crested mask. To make it more fun we added feathers on top. Its the best way to make your costume and really call it your own.
- Create your own pattern by sticking the rhinestones where you desire.
- Gluing the nail heads is pretty simple, push the prongs behind the nail head inside.Then the put glue on the nail head and glue on to the mask.
- Take pieces of the feather trim and keep gluing pieces till the top of the mask is covered with feathers.
- If you wish, you can randomly glue rhinestones on to the feathers.
Halloween is right around the corner, if you don’t have time to buy a costume. Then why not make your own fun jewel encrusted head-piece. Its easy and fun, and you will definitely stand out. It’s a piece you can do at home at your own time, you don’t have to worry about waiting on those long lines in the costume stores anymore.
- 20” of elastic sequence trim 4 row, Style # 34479 Royal
- 6” of 1. 5 Single faced Satin ribbon, Style # 00299 Black
- -Guinea Pad feather, Style # 43373 Royal (1.800.9.mjtrim)
- Mallard Duck Pad Feather, Style # 42648 Navy
- 24 x 17” Oval sew-on stone, Style # 40940 Crystal Satin
- 18 x 10.5 ” Pear Sew-on Stone, Style # 27474 Crystal
- 22mm Square Sew-on Stone, Style # 27476 Jet Hematite
- 10 x 2” Navette Rhinestone with Setting, Style# 03911 Montana
- 12 mm Sew-on Rhinestone, Style # 32016 Crystal
- 1/8 yd of 3.25” Feather Fringe on Satin, Style # 30865 Black
- 2” of 24mm Elastic Trim, Style # 41259 Black
- Take the 6” piece of ribbon and face it upside down, you are going to fold the feather fringe and glue it in the middle of the satin ribbon. Glue the two ends of the satin ribbon in the middle after gluing the feathers.
- Turn the feather and satin ribbon so that the glued part of the ribbon is facing down, take the big square sew-on and glue it in the middle of the satin ribbon. Take the large oval sew-on and glue it to the right of the large square sew-on. Take the round sew-on and glue it on the left side of the square sew-on. Then glue the small navette and glue it in between the round and square sew-on (on the bottom). Then take the pear-shaped sew-on and glue it in between the round and the square shape sew-on (on the top).
- Turn the Jewel encrusted satin piece and turn it around. First glue the Mallard Duck pad feather to the satin ribbon. Then glue the Guinea pad feather on top of the mallard duck pad feather. (Glue it so both feather pad show)
- Then glue the Feather piece to the sequence trim. Glue it so it’s a little to the side of your head.
- Take the two inches of elastic and sew it on to both sides of the sequence trim.
It seems like yesterday it was summer and now Halloween is just around the corner. Maybe you haven’t even begun planning or are somewhat perplexed over your theme for your holiday gathering this year; well don’t fret because we’ve got some inspirational ideas in store for you. This Halloween try a more elegant approach to decorating for your holiday gathering. I worked up a few ideas for our decorations this year using feather trims and some inexpensive finds from your local floral or craft shop.
Materials for Wreath
- • 1 wreath (I used a plain twig wreath)
- • 2 feather boas style: 16776 (To order call 1-800-9-mjtrim)
- • Jewelry wire Materials for Centerpiece
- • Plastic cauldron ( the one used here has an inner diameter of 12”) you may also use a planter that you may already have
- • Thin branches
- • Sand or stones to fill the bottom
- • Super moss • 3’ artificial ravens
- • 1 yard (measurement is dependant upon the size of your cauldron) feather trim style: 27971 (To order call 1-800-9-mjtrim)
- • Craft foam
How To Wreath:
For the wreath I just wrapped the two boas around it and secured with jewelry wire.
How To Centerpiece: The centerpiece was a bit more involved, but still very easy.
- The first I thing I did, and this is completely optional, is treated my cauldron so that it wouldn’t look like a cheap plastic cauldron. I sprayed it with spray on stone which can be purchased at your local hardware store. Once it has set up and dried I went over is with a coat of semi-gloss black spray paint.
- Next you are going to want to fill your cauldron with sand or stone, you want to fill it just enough so that the craft foam will sit level with the top of the cauldron, so be sure to take a measurement.
- Place your craft foam inside the cauldron; you may have to trim it down if you are not able to find it in a round. I used an 11” round dummy cake, it’s made of foam and fit perfectly inside the cauldron you should be able to find them online at nycake.com
- Arrange your branches in the center of the foam, you should be able to just push them in to secure
- Glue your feather trim around the foam so that it appears to be spilling out of the cauldron
- Apply your super moss around the branches to cover the exposed foam
- Arrange and attach your ravens how you wish
- Enjoy your beautiful new Halloween centerpiece
I was very thrilled when M&J recently began carrying feather patches. We have been having a lot of fun with them creating all types of accessories that fit right in with this season’s hot trend. So, you can only imagine my excitement when I discovered the new much larger version, a 20” x 15” feather mat (style #43361-Brown/Green Iris) available by calling 1-800-9-mjtrim. I thought this would look great on a throw pillow, and since I am currently looking to change the look of my apartment this came in just the nick of time. Throw pillows make a great accent in any room. By mixing colors and textures you can liven up the place and create a new ambiance with out the expense of purchasing new furniture or the timely chore of painting.