I’m Olga from M&J Trimming. I’ve been here for a few months and I’m very excited to write about my very own first DIY project experience! Now to put things into perspective for the readers who feel that they’re not creative enough to do their own DIY’s, this is literally my FIRST DIY project, ever. Except for sporadic art projects here and there in grade school . I’ve always admired other peoples work but felt I didn’t have what it takes to make my own. Well M&J not only proved me wrong, but ignited a creativity flame within me. So I have one thing to say to the self none believers; If I can do it & love it, you most definitely will!
To those who haven’t had the opportunity to come into our New York City show room, the rumor is true! This place is amazing! I didn’t know where to look first. It was overwhelmingly exciting and inspirational. With the holidays quickly sneaking up on us, I thought what would be better than designing your very own party accessories! This adds a personal touch to your party and wow’s your friends with your creative ability, killing two birds with one stone!
The inspiration for my project came from the very controversial Mayan 2012 “Doomsday Theory”. It’s something that almost every person has heard of. And whether you believe or not, you can’t deny that it’s in interesting and perhaps humorous topic. For those who aren’t familiar with the Mayan theory, it states that according to the Mayan Indians the world will end December 21, 2012. There are many theories as to how it will happen but I know one thing for sure, theories such as these won’t stop me from having the best New Years Eve yet! That is why the Mayan Indian culture inspired my DIY party accessories project. Because what’s better than bringing in the New Year with bright and beautiful colors, patterns, and sequins!
Mayan Pyramid Name Place Setting
- 3” Assorted Mini Indian Feathers #54130 in Multi
- Ribbon – Your choice of color
1) Cut out three long strips of paper. All 3 different sizes. Each about 2 inches thick.
2) Fold each strip into 4 pieces. Piece each strip together like a square.
3) Cut out a square piece of paper to cover the top of each new square you made.
4) Cover the outer edges of each square with different fabric.
5) Stack the boxes on top of each other in the form of a pyramid
6) Cut out paper into angled in piece. Attach smaller end to the top of pyramid. Let the other side drop. This will give an illusion of stairs.
7) Cover the top of the pyramid with feathers
8) Fold a very small piece of paper in two. Paint it gold. When dry write person’s name at the top
9) Paint the parts not covered by the fabric gold. Allow pyramid to dry.
2012 Mayan Party Mask (Venetian Style)
- Thick paper
- Gold Paint
- Popsicle Stick
- #42902 Sequin Skull and Cross Bones
- #34076 Ombre Stripe Velvet Lt.Blue/Royal
- #88739 Sew on Jewels
- #54130 3” Assorted Mini Indian Feather – Multi
- #42642 Straight Hackle Pad – Turquoise
- Black Sharpie
1) Trace out “2012” on the paper then cut it out.
2) Paint the number gold. Let dry
3) Outline each number with black sharpie after the gold paint is dry
4) Glue on jewels to embellish each number
5) Take the mini feathers and place them in a fan shaped arrangement.
6) Glue the arrangement to the lower half of the turquoise hackle pad.
7) Take the new arrangement of feathers and glue an inch and a half of the bottom (stems) to the back center of the “2012”
8) Place the skull patch on top and glue in on.
9) You can continue to embellish however you desire.
10) Take your pencil and wrap the velvet Ombre Stripe until you can no longer see any more of the pencil.
11) Attach wrapped pencil to either the left or right back side of the “2012”
12) Take you Popsicle stick(s) and glue it across the back of the “2012” for more support
13) Your 2012 party glasses are ready to wear!
Mayan inspired “Hostess” necklace
- Mini Indian feather – Red
- 4MM Braided Vinyl Bolo – Aqua
- 8MM 60” Faux Pearl PKG – Ivory
- Thick Cotton string
1) Take the aqua vinyl bolo and hot glue it into your desired shape
2) Make sure you attach a thick cotton string to the left and right of your necklace centerpiece
3) Decorate the necklace center piece how ever you desire. I added feather pieces, pearls, rhinestone, and added gold paint for a Mayan touch.
4) Bead the pears on the strings of each side. When each side has enough pearls take the hot glue gun and squeeze a line of glue across the back side of the pearls from the first to the last.
5) When the glue hardens, take more cotton string and wrap it in between the center of each pearl.
6) You’re ready to wear your beautiful new creation!
If you loved these ideas then I’m pleased to announce that I will be doing a part 2 for this Mayan inspired party theme! I will be decorating “his and her” champagne toast glasses, making napkin rings and giving ordinary silverware a Mayan make over! I hope you’re as excited and inspired as I am for a dazzling 2012 New Years Eve!!