Ribbons are one of the simpler trims yet they will forever be popular. Ribbons have many purposes. They can be used for invitations, home décor, jewelry, or even footwear. The opportunities for using ribbon are truly endless. Each of the following DIY tutorials demonstrates the many ways ribbons can be orchestrated. Chic Steals turned her ordinary sweater into something extraordinary and not to mention cute. Love Maegan created a statement necklace with different pieces of gathered ribbon. Sprinkles in Springs added a girly touch to her sandals by tying small bows to the T-straps. Each of these DIYs are adorable and we can’t wait to try them out.
Sprinkles in Springs DIY Ribbon Sandals
Chic Steals DIY Woven Ribbon Sweater
Love Maegan DIY Ribbon Necklace
Pearl and Chromspun Ribbon Necklace by M&J Trimming
The weather is feeling pretty nice lately and that usually means it is time to pretty up. So here is this week’s round-up of DIY accessory.
To give that classic yet chic pretty girl look that has been seen all over the street and magazines lately, we’ll be working with pearls and chromspun grosgrain ribbon.
This project is quite easy and only takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare your needle and thread for at least 20″ long.
- Prepare your chromspun ribbon, but flipping it back and forth and cut after you have flipped the amount of loops you would like to create. I flipped mine about 3 times then strung the needle through it.
- Add the 8MM pearl and repeat step 2.
- Add the 4MM pearl and repeat step 2.
- Repeat the steps until you finish the design and then tie a knot to keep the last loops of ribbon in place.
- With your 60″ long strand of pearls, loop it so that it’s layered like in the image. Tie clear thread at the top so the pearls stay in place.
- Using a needle, sew the design of pearls and ribbon into place to the pearls at the bottom.
- Now you’re all done and ready to show of your work!
Pearl & Chromspun Grosgrain Ribbon Necklace
Pearl & Chromspun Ribbon Necklace Up Close
Accessories can either make or break an outfit and when you can’t find one that’s going to enhance your outfit, then make one. I always go through magazines everyday, looking for the latest trend. This Fall, I noticed that ribbon and applique necklaces are going to be the must-have accessory of the season. With a tight budget and still having a yearn for something nice, I decided to make one myself. You can too with a few simple supplies and instructions.
I used three appliques, item number 43013 from M&J Trimming, they were only $11.98 each. If you like the appliques, you can call 1-800-9-MJTRIM to order them. I also used two grosgrain bow, a yard of silk grosgrain, a small piece of ultra suede fabric and glue gun.
All you have to do is add glue to the back of the appliques and lay them on top of the ultra suede. When it dries, trim out the extra fabric. Make sure to not to cut in between the appliques, so that they hang together on the necklace. Then cut the grosgrain ribbon in half and glue it to each side of the necklace. Once you’re done, add the bows and it’s ready to wear. Simple, right?