Ever since Pippi Longstocking’s debut, overalls have been in style. Although they took a quick break in the fashion circuit they are coming back with a bang. The traditional style has been transformed in a very modern way. The once conservative look can now be seen in cutting edge colors, and unexpected fabrications. How will you be rocking the look this summer?
Making Eco-friendly fashion choices can be very costly. Rather than purchasing an Eco friendly garment, revamp something you already have. Earth Day has allowed us to reevaluate the many ways we can refashion our own items. Here are some of our favorite up-cycled DIY projects.
Mich L in LA: Wear your Jeans as a Bracelet Tutorial
Arstar by Althea: Upcycled Tie Necklace Tutorial
Ms. Not So Perfect: T-Shirt Scarf
Trash to Couture: Basket Weave Old Shirts
Jeans Guardian: Denim Slippers
Don’t forget to tweet us some of your upcycled DIY projects. #mjtrim
The denim shirt is a staple in almost every girl’s wardrobe, and we love taking it to the next level by adding a DIY spin to our chambray shirts. Once again, we’ve turned to our favorite DIY bloggers for inspiration – we love seeing all the cool DIYs that they’ve dreamed up! From cut-outs to tie-dye, see our favorites below.
DIY Ombre Denim Shirt by Style Scrapbook
DIY Denim and Lace Shirt by A Beautiful Mess
DIY Scarf Denim Shirt by Gypsie Sister
DIY Cut Out Denim Shirt by A Pair and a Spare
DIY Tie Dye Denim Shirt by Honestly WTF
Summer’s here, which means we’re ready to slip into our trusty denim cutoffs again. But this summer we couldn’t help but add a little DIY magic to our old jean shorts. So with a bit of lace and some simple sewing materials from M&J Trimming, we whipped up these lace-trimmed shorts that we’ll be living in all summer long. Try it out yourself and let us know how it turns out!
Even though summer is quickly approaching, we’re not quite ready to say goodbye to our trusty jeans. Plenty of DIY bloggers have been jazzing up their classic denim, and we have loved looking through all of their tutorials. From floral print to tie-dye, you can seriously do anything with a pair of jeans! See our favorite DIYs below.
1. Jason Wu Inspired Denim by A Pair & A Spare
2. DIY Tie Dye Denim by Swell Mayde
3. DIY Floral Print Jeans by Love Maegan
4. DIY Ombre Bleached Jeans by Taby’s Meow
5. DIY Galaxy Jeans by The Sun Was High
With summer on its way, there’s no better time to DIY a trendy pair of shorts. We scouted through our favorite DIY blogs to find the best shorts tutorials – check out our picks!
1. Floral Print Denim Short by Swell Mayde
2. Distressed Denim Cutoff Shorts by A Pair & A Spare
3. Scalloped Shorts by Boat People
4. Embellished Short by P.S. I Made This
5. Leopard Print Short Shorts by Because I’m Addicted
So, as many of you may or may not already know, I am absolutely in love with beaded fringe and certainly cuffs. This week I’ve decided to combine my two loves, and am loving the result. Hope you dig it too.
- ½ yard 3” beaded fringe
- 1 package of ss30 nail heads
- Scarp denim (I used a piece 2 ½” wide and 9” long. The length measurement depends upon your wrist size. Take your measurement and add 2”)
- Craft glue
- 1 12” separating zipper
- Ez rhinestone setter or you could use the side of a pencil t o finish the prongs of your nail heads
- Needle and thread
- Cut your denim into 4 equal sections and cut 3 pieces of fringe 2 ½” pieces.
- I used a little glue to secure the pieces of fringe between 2 pieces of my denim and stitched. Stitch as close to the twill tape of the fringe as possible so that it will not be visible from the other side.
- Mark two columns down the two center panels of your denim cuff. My marks are 1/2” apart.
- Apply nail heads at your marks
- Fold the ends of your cuff over ¼”, you may press this down or secure it with a little glue or stitch.
- Attach the bottom portion of your zipper to finished ends. To shorten the zipper cut the top portion off, then using a needle and thread wrap some thread around the top tooth. Doing so will keep the zipper from coming off the teeth.
- Wear and Enjoy!