We are big fans of collars and have seen them all over our favorite magazines and blogs. We are now in love with necklaces in the shape of collars and bibs. They look great on oxford shirts and thrown over our favorite worn-in tees. We searched the web for DIY collar necklaces that we could make ourselves and these are our top 5!
And don’t forget…our Winter sale ends tonight at 11:59pm. So hurry and get 50% off select buttons, ribbons, fringe, and leather trims!
DIY Chain Collar Necklace via Hello, Whimsy
DIY Rhinestone Collar Necklace via taylor & DEMOLISH
DIY Marc by Marc Jacobs Collar Necklace via Court & Hudson
DIY Chain Collar Necklace via A Pair and A Spare
DIY Rhinestone Collar Necklace via Where Did U Get That
We were completely inspired to create a necklace with our Swarovski crystals over the weekend. Because we are obsessed with collars again this season, we decided to create a rhinestone collar necklace! It was a lot of fun to create and the way it sparkles on sunny, snowy days makes us even happier!
2 size packs of Swarovski flatback rhinestones
1 size pack of Swarovski sew-on rhinestones
2 rhinestone buttons
1 ft. of ribbon
2 ft. of chain
Matching thread & needle
1. Cut out two triangular pieces of ribbon.
2. Sew on a few rhinestones and one button onto one cutout.
3. Glue some of your rhinestone flatbacks onto your cutout. Use your smaller rhinestones to fill in the gaps.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 on your other triangular cutout and let both dry for an hour.
5. Glue and sew your triangles together at one point.
6. Cut your chain into two equal pieces.
7. Open your jump ring and slip your clasp onto it, as depicted. Then, slip one end of one chain onto the jump ring and close it.
8. Sew the last link of this chain onto the outside corner of your collar. Repeat using your other chain and the opposite corner of your collar.
9. Now you’ve got a beautiful rhinestone collar necklace to add to your jewelry collection!
Madeleine, of From Rags to Couture, shares some of the coolest, most unique DIYs we’ve seen in a while. We first fell in love with her rainbow pom pom collar, and then we knew we had to check out the rest of her projects. Check out some of our faves below and head on over to From Rags to Couture for more.
DIY Rainbow Pom Pom Collar Necklace
DIY Chain Wrap Bracelet
DIY Polymer Clay Necklace
We’ve whipped up collar DIYs before, like our lace collar, but lately we’ve been lusting after a more futuristic look. After spotting some silver faux leather in our store, we knew it would be perfect for a sleek, simple metallic collar. And we’re really loving the industrial look of the metal closure. Follow our instructions below to make it yourself!
1. Gather your supplies. You’ll need: scissors, a needle, silver thread, a metal closure, 1 1/2 ft silver faux leather trim
2. Trim your silver trim into a long trapezoid for your collar. You may want to use a real collared shirt as a template, or simply wrap the trim around your neck and eyeball it. Angle the edges a bit – our trim was 16 inches long at the top, and 17 inches long at the bottom.
3. Thread your needle with the silver thread and tie a knot at the bottom of the thread. Place one end of the metal closure over the top corner of the silver trim, and begin sewing around it to hold it in place. Once it’s secure, tie the thread in a knot in the back and snip the ends.
4. Repeat Step 3 by sewing the other side of the metal closure to the other side of the collar.
5. You’re all done! Simply unclip the metal closure to put the collar on.
With such an abundance of rhinestone trims and accents in our store, it’s about time we found some rhinestone DIY inspiration. Paint neon nail polish on rhinestone trim for a trendy necklace, or attach a strand of rhinestones to your heels for a chic anklet. And of course you can never go wrong with a rhinestone collar. We can’t wait to DIY some of these!
images via Cats & Rocking Chairs / Karla’s Closet / Tumblr / Dannijo / Tumblr
Collars have been a huge trend for a while now, so it’s about time that we’ve whipped up a DIY version. We have an incredible selection of lace in our store, so we whipped up a vintage-style lace collar that will look adorable on a summer dress or blouse. Keep reading to find out how to make your own!
1. Cut the lace into 2 pieces, each one about 8 inches long. Make sure you trim the ends so it won’t fray.
2. Using your needle and thread, sew together the top corners of the two pieces of lace. This will be the front of the collar.
3. Cut the white ribbon into two pieces. Fold about 1/2 inch of one ribbon over itself on the end to make it more sturdy, then sew it to one of the top corners at the back of the collar. Do the same with the other ribbon.
4. Now you’re all done! Simply place the collar in front of your neck, then tie the ribbons together in the back to hold in place.
Collars have been trending for quite some time now, so naturally they have been popping up on all of our favorite DIY blogs. Whether they are sequined, spraypainted, or starred, we’re really digging all of the different versions. Here’s a list of our top 5 – which one is your favorite?
1. DIY Louis Vuitton Gold Collar by A Pair & A Spare
2. DIY Miu Miu Inspire Pop-Up Collar by Boat People
3. DIY Sequin Collar Necklace by Stripes + Sequins
4. DIY Faux Fur Collar by Studs and Pearls
5. DIY Chainmail Embellished Collar by Glitter ‘N Glue