Our latest DIY features a beaded bow applique, and some gorgeous lilac elastic. It’s the perfect way to step into spring with an accessory that’s feminine, with a little bit of edge.
What You’ll Need:
Beaded Bow Appliqué #46230
2 Yards of 25mm Elastic Grosgrain #56038
Needle and Thread
1. Fold your elastic in half. Wrap elastic around your hips or waist depending on where you want the belt to sit, and measure. Make sure to leave an inch to each end for button snaps. Cut to size.
2. To create a sturdier belt, glue the folded sides together.
3. Place one end of the elastic on the back of the bow, and sew the male piece of the button snap in place.
4. Sew the female snap piece to the other end of the elastic.
Now you’re ready to hit the town in style this spring! We love this look paired with black basics, or even to cinch a dress.
With the intense summer heat, there’s nothing more useful than a barrette or a hair clip to pull your hair back off of your face. And since we think everything is better when it’s DIYed, we picked out the best DIY barrette tutorials. Keep reading to see our top 5!
DIY Studded Hair Bow by Parker, Etc
DIY Flower Barrette by Teen Vogue
We’ve whipped up another original DIY, this time with some of our favorite faux-leather trim. We turned this edgy snakeskin trim into a lovely hair bow, in just 6 simple steps. Follow along below to make your own! And of course, all supplies are from M&J Trimming.
Supplies: 10 inch piece of trim, 8 inch piece of trim, 3 inch piece of trim, scissors, E6000 glue, barrettes, a few inches of twine
1. Create a loop with the 10 inch piece of trim by glueing the ends together. Repeat with the 8 inch piece of trim.
2. Apply glue to the middle of each loop and press down until each loop is stuck together in the middle.
3. Add a drop of glue to the middle of the larger loop. Place the smaller loop directly on top and press down while the glue dries.
4. Once the glue has dried, tie a piece of string around the middle of both loops to create the bow shape.
5. Wrap the 3 inch piece of trim around the middle of the bow and glue in the back.
6. Glue the back of a barrette onto the back of the bow. Let dry and you’re all done!
This leopard print bow belt is the perfect mix of girly and edgy – and it’s incredibly simple. And of course, all of the supplies are from M&J Trimming. Pair it with your favorite LBD and some red lipstick, and you’re good to go!
1. Pull the end of the ribbon through the metal ring. Apply some glue on the inside of the ribbon and fold it over itself.
2. Repeat Step 1 on the other end of the ribbon, so each side is attached to a metal ring.
3. Add a little glue to one of the metal rings and place it onto the back of the bow closure. Hold it in place while the glue dries.
4. All done! Just slide the other metal ring onto the back of the bow whenever you want to wear it!
With the cold winter this year in NYC, I’ve begun to dream about the future summer days… and decided to make the cutest summer accessory for the little one’s. So get started on your summer projects by making an adorable printed grosgrain ribbon bow.
First step: Sew the two 4.5 Lemon Grass strips together. Be sure they are making a small X when before sewing middle. I call these the leaf pieces because they go at the end of the flower bow.
Step 2: Take one 6″ polka dotted stip and create circle and push a t-pin through.
Step three: Take one 6″ Flower ribbon and create a circle and add it to pile it onto the other polka dot ribbon. Keep doing this until you finish the polka dot and flower ribbon. Be sure to make each circle smaller as you pile them onto the t-pin. (You can do this by cutting an extra 1/2″ after each ribbon piled on.
Step 4: Now sew the piled ribbons together neatly and remove the t-pin. Then sew on the button and the ‘Leaf Ribbon” at the same time, and cut the ends of the ‘Leaf ribbon’.
Step 5: Lastly, attach a hair clip to the back of the flower ribbon, which can be purchased at any craft or drugstore.
PRINTED RIBBON GIVEAWAY THIS WEEK – Has Ended
We’re giving away some of M&J’s Best Printed Ribbon‘, with over 30 different styles of printed ribbon all in one scrap bag
Check out the Rules HERE
The Winner was Mary Katherine Parker “I love using M&J Trimmings because it allows me to give free rein to my imagination!” Congratulations Mary!!
Join our facebook page to enter more giveaways
We’ve been feature in the 2010 December issue of Lucky Magazine. They use our rat tail cord as a bow tie.
2mm Black Rat Tail, Style # 00801