Fourth day of our week long sales
Third day of our week long sales
What better way to end the year than with beautiful sparkling rhinestones to adorn everything imaginable? Take advantage of today’s limited time sale and save 10% on all Swarovski™ flatback rhinestones. No matter what size or color it is, its 10% off today only. Sale ends at 11:59 PM EST
Hi Everyone! I’m Grace Atwood, from Stripes & Sequins. I’m so honored to be December’s Blogger of the Mont. I’ve been obsessed with M&J Trim from the moment I moved to New York City. It really is a candy store for the crafty… more ribbon, gems, cord, and treats than one could imagine. I could (and have!) spend hours just ogling the goods – and getting inspiration for my next DIY project.
I’ve put together four easy projects using the products that M&J sent me… I hope that you enjoy – and attempt to recreate them yourself!
Project #1: Tory Burch Inspired Collar
I also used the 24mm Double Faced Satin Ribbon Item# 02324 , a scrap of suede, and my glue gun.
I snipped off the mesh edges of the trim and cut the trim into four pieces (2 short, 2 long.) I then just glued them to the suede in the shape I liked, and cut it out. I finished the necklace by sealing the edges of it with Fray Check, and gluing on two long pieces of the black satin ribbon.
And you’re done!
Project #2: Striped Button Ascot
I love stripes, and I love the idea of wearing a fun striped pin with a striped t-shirt. I made this one and have been wearing it constantly. Pinned to a comfy sweater, my favorite trench, etc… it adds a more creative and fun element to my more classic pieces.
- Take a piece of 1 1/2″ Mono Striped Ribbon Item# 39516 (about 8”) and form a loop. Close with glue.
- Form another loop with a smaller piece of ribbon, and attach perpendicularly to first loop.
- Add two pieces of striped ribbon to the bottom.
- Glue on two pieces of black satin ribbon.
- Add a botton, and then another sparkly button.
- Flip over, and add a pin to the back. Reinforce with a bit more glue and a small piece of ribbon.
Yup, I’m a little bit obsessed with this one.
Project #3: Safety Pin and Chain Necklace
This was a fun and easy one. There’s really no rhyme or reason to this project… just have fun with it!
Using the chain M&J sent me 9mm Black Metal Chain Item# 36959 (and I can’t say enough good things about this chain – it’s metalized plastic with the coolest little mirrored facets that give it the coolest sparkly touch) I attached three similar length pieces to a jump ring and then to a clasp. From there, I just pinned and pinned, until I had a messy – yet sophisticated necklace. I love that it’s a bit rock & roll… I will wear it with my preppier pieces (striped tees, shift dresses, etc.)
Project #4: Embellished Silk Shell
This was another simple one… I had a silk shell in my closet that I was going to get rid of, but I decided to liven it up a bit with the 10mm Heart Metal Sequin Item# 39960 that M&J sent me.
All it took was a little patience and my glue gun… such an easy way to spruce up a boring basic!
I’m Olga from M&J Trimming. I’ve been here for a few months and I’m very excited to write about my very own first DIY project experience! Now to put things into perspective for the readers who feel that they’re not creative enough to do their own DIY’s, this is literally my FIRST DIY project, ever. Except for sporadic art projects here and there in grade school . I’ve always admired other peoples work but felt I didn’t have what it takes to make my own. Well M&J not only proved me wrong, but ignited a creativity flame within me. So I have one thing to say to the self none believers; If I can do it & love it, you most definitely will!
To those who haven’t had the opportunity to come into our New York City show room, the rumor is true! This place is amazing! I didn’t know where to look first. It was overwhelmingly exciting and inspirational. With the holidays quickly sneaking up on us, I thought what would be better than designing your very own party accessories! This adds a personal touch to your party and wow’s your friends with your creative ability, killing two birds with one stone!
The inspiration for my project came from the very controversial Mayan 2012 “Doomsday Theory”. It’s something that almost every person has heard of. And whether you believe or not, you can’t deny that it’s in interesting and perhaps humorous topic. For those who aren’t familiar with the Mayan theory, it states that according to the Mayan Indians the world will end December 21, 2012. There are many theories as to how it will happen but I know one thing for sure, theories such as these won’t stop me from having the best New Years Eve yet! That is why the Mayan Indian culture inspired my DIY party accessories project. Because what’s better than bringing in the New Year with bright and beautiful colors, patterns, and sequins!
Mayan Pyramid Name Place Setting
- 3” Assorted Mini Indian Feathers #54130 in Multi
- Ribbon – Your choice of color
1) Cut out three long strips of paper. All 3 different sizes. Each about 2 inches thick.
2) Fold each strip into 4 pieces. Piece each strip together like a square.
3) Cut out a square piece of paper to cover the top of each new square you made.
4) Cover the outer edges of each square with different fabric.
5) Stack the boxes on top of each other in the form of a pyramid
6) Cut out paper into angled in piece. Attach smaller end to the top of pyramid. Let the other side drop. This will give an illusion of stairs.
7) Cover the top of the pyramid with feathers
8) Fold a very small piece of paper in two. Paint it gold. When dry write person’s name at the top
9) Paint the parts not covered by the fabric gold. Allow pyramid to dry.
2012 Mayan Party Mask (Venetian Style)
- Thick paper
- Gold Paint
- Popsicle Stick
- #42902 Sequin Skull and Cross Bones
- #34076 Ombre Stripe Velvet Lt.Blue/Royal
- #88739 Sew on Jewels
- #54130 3” Assorted Mini Indian Feather – Multi
- #42642 Straight Hackle Pad – Turquoise
- Black Sharpie
1) Trace out “2012” on the paper then cut it out.
2) Paint the number gold. Let dry
3) Outline each number with black sharpie after the gold paint is dry
4) Glue on jewels to embellish each number
5) Take the mini feathers and place them in a fan shaped arrangement.
6) Glue the arrangement to the lower half of the turquoise hackle pad.
7) Take the new arrangement of feathers and glue an inch and a half of the bottom (stems) to the back center of the “2012”
8) Place the skull patch on top and glue in on.
9) You can continue to embellish however you desire.
10) Take your pencil and wrap the velvet Ombre Stripe until you can no longer see any more of the pencil.
11) Attach wrapped pencil to either the left or right back side of the “2012”
12) Take you Popsicle stick(s) and glue it across the back of the “2012” for more support
13) Your 2012 party glasses are ready to wear!
Mayan inspired “Hostess” necklace
- Mini Indian feather – Red
- 4MM Braided Vinyl Bolo – Aqua
- 8MM 60” Faux Pearl PKG – Ivory
- Thick Cotton string
1) Take the aqua vinyl bolo and hot glue it into your desired shape
2) Make sure you attach a thick cotton string to the left and right of your necklace centerpiece
3) Decorate the necklace center piece how ever you desire. I added feather pieces, pearls, rhinestone, and added gold paint for a Mayan touch.
4) Bead the pears on the strings of each side. When each side has enough pearls take the hot glue gun and squeeze a line of glue across the back side of the pearls from the first to the last.
5) When the glue hardens, take more cotton string and wrap it in between the center of each pearl.
6) You’re ready to wear your beautiful new creation!
If you loved these ideas then I’m pleased to announce that I will be doing a part 2 for this Mayan inspired party theme! I will be decorating “his and her” champagne toast glasses, making napkin rings and giving ordinary silverware a Mayan make over! I hope you’re as excited and inspired as I am for a dazzling 2012 New Years Eve!!
As huge fans of Lady Gaga not only of her music but her over-the-top couture ensembles, we were so excited to know that she shopped at M&J Trimming herself when she created her own costumes. You could imagine our surprise and excitement when she mentioned it in her latest music video “Marry the Night”, we just couldn’t believe it.
And if you don’t believe it either be sure to watch the video, and forward it to 7:12 ! Then go back and watch the whole thing because she’s so awesome!!
Our New Favorite blogger for December is Grace from Stripes & Sequins!
Hi everyone! I’m Grace from Stripes & Sequins. Ever since moving to New York City six years ago, M&J Trimming has been one of my favorite places in the city… a virtual candy store for us crafty folks! I’m honored to be M&J’s blogger of the month. If I had to describe my style in two words, it would be human magpie. I love all things shiny and sparkly.. By day, I work for BaubleBar, where I run their social media. I’ve been blogging for about two years and love DIY – it forces me to be creative and helps me temper my expensive taste. My blog has been featured on Guest of a Guest, the Wall Street Journal, and Dismount Creative as a Top DIY blog. I’ve also DIY’d with The Glitter Guide, which is, very fittingly, one of my favorite online publications!
Stripes & Sequins DIY’s
Here’s what we sent her for the Blogger of the Month Challenge…check back on Tuesday, December 13th 2011 to see what she made!
Save 15% off today’s purchase. Add anything or everything in your shopping cart and save 15%. This deal is only valid today until 11:59 pm EST. WWW.MJTRIM.COM
Shop at the comfort of your own home and save 20% Off the entire eite excluding rhinestones. That’s ribbons, buttons, buckles, and more for 20% off. Sale ends at 11:59pm EST