After graduating from fashion school, and honing her skills through internships at Rodarte and Nike, Aimee landed her dream job and is now a working designer in Los Angeles. Constantly DIY’ing in her spare time, she created SwellMayde as a home for her readers to embrace their creativity. It is all about finding inspiration and teaching others how to bring it to reality with easy to follow steps.
DIY | STATEMENT BIB NECKLACE
I loved the concept of M&J Trimming’s Blogger Challenge, and was absolutely on board when they approached me to participate. They sent me a mystery box of supplies to utilize in a DIY. The day the box came to my door, I quickly opened it and so many ideas came rushing into my head. I couldn’t wait to get creative with this challenge. The one idea that stuck out the most was to make a statement bib necklace, inspired by the amazing tutorial Drew of Dylanex created with Geneva of A Pair and Spare. I just couldn’t get over how utterly beautiful all of Drew’s handmade pieces are!! Check out my version, using her tutorial below.
- 5 or 6 necklaces that you are willing to break up, hit your local flea market to find bulk deals
- Jump Rings
- Stringing Wire (Metal or Rope)
- Ribbon from the M&J Trimming Mystery Box
1. Find the steps to the Drew’s DIY Necklace Tutorial (here). I followed her steps to create my own.
2.Then, to incorporate a feminine and colorful touch, I used ribbon from the mystery box to use as the closure of the necklace. You can simply cut 2 pieces of ribbon, about 8 to 10 inches long.
3. Tie one end of the ribbon to one end of the necklace. Repeat for the 2nd piece of ribbon. Then, tie onto your neck.