Dip Dyed Stripe Beach Bag

We’ve been coveting a striped beach tote all year long. Instead of purchasing one at a nearby department store, we’ve opted to create one using a solid bag and our very own RIT dye.

SUPPLIES

H&M Bag
Tape
Scissors
Bucket
Spray Bottle
Rit Dye

DSC_0035

STEPS

Lay your bag on a flat surface. Using your tape, create even stripes wrapping all the way around the bag. NOTE: The exposed portion of your bag will absorb the dye.

1. DSC_0053

Press the tape down making sure the fabric is protected.

2. DSC_0056

Once you are happy with the striped pattern it is time to prepare your dye.

3. DSC_0074

Following the Rit Dye instructions, we combined the Rit dye powder with 2 cups of hot water, and 5 cups of lukewarm water in order to fill our bucket.

4. DSC_0063

Since we didn’t want to dip our bag into the bucket and risk ruining our design, we dipped a spray bottle into the bucket. By spraying our bag with the dye we were able to control the amount of liquid that may have seeped under the tape.

5. DSC_0072

Continue doing this for both sides.

6. DSC_0081

Once the bag has dried, remove the tape and there you have it! You’re one of a kind striped beach bag!

7. DSC_0096

10 comments on “Dip Dyed Stripe Beach Bag

1. That is such a great idea and it looks so cool! I never would have thought of that, thank you!

2. mrsbritton3 says:

It’s really cute! Thank you!

3. Samantha Nicolette says:

hey I nominated you for a liebster. Hope you can participate! I read your blog everyday. http://samanthanicolette.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/liebster-award/

4. Arlene Poma says:

This is so different from the tye-dying that I used to do. I haven’t seen Rit dye lately. Maybe I should go looking. I never would have thought to spray it on!

5. ED says:

Such a great idea!! And so simple!! I like the home made look!! LOVE THIS!
    Ellie from http://howtodoprettymucheverything.wordpress.com/

6. sarahwbiggs says:

Reblogged this on sarahwbiggs and commented:
    Ready for summer!

7. catherine mcpherson says:

my 1s time looking at this page love it

8. catherine mcpherson says:

I enjoyed this bag. Im going to try it

9. Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation;
    many of us have developed some nice practices and
    we are looking to exchange strategies with other folks, why not shoot
    me an e-mail if interested.