DIY Neon Rope Belt by Thanks, I Made It

We enlisted the help of Erin of Thanks, I Made It to create another cool DIY project for us. Keep reading to find out how she made this awesome neon rope belt!

I love accessories and clothes that are trend multi-taskers, and this belt definitely ticks off a few summer trends. Neon? Check. Nautical? Check. Fun? Check! Here’s how to make your own rope belt with a nice little pop of neon.

Tools and Materials:
Leather punch
2 yards of cotton rope/cord
Tape

Decide where you want to wear your belt. Measure the rope so that it is long enough to wrap around your waist twice, and trim so it is about an inch shorter than that length.

Find the middle of the rope, and bring both ends to the center, like above. Line up both ends, and tape together to the center of the rope, wrapping the tape to secure. This forms a loop on either end.

Spread glue along the tape, and press one end of the thin cord into the glue.

Hold the end in place, and begin wrapping the cord tightly around the tape.

Once you’ve wrapped enough to cover the tape, trim down the cord to about 1 inch, add a drop of glue, and use a toothpick to tuck the loose end underneath the cords.

To attach the buckles, fold the belt closure around one looped end of the cord. Note where the edge wraps around and meets the longer end of the closure.

Using the leather hole punch, punch out four holes, two at the edge of the closure, and two where the the edge meets the longer end (what you measured above).

Lace the thin cord through the holes and over the rope like the picture above.

Pull the ends of the cord tight, and tie the cord into a tight knot. Add a dab of glue to secure.

Repeat with the other side of the faux-leather closure onto the other loop of the rope. Slide the buckles on the cord and into place. Let glue dry.

8 comments on “DIY Neon Rope Belt by Thanks, I Made It

1. tanya says:

love this! looks hot.

2. aiyanajane says:

love this! where did you find the belt buckle? or was it just something you already had?

3. KurtzCrafts says:

ooo, I’m wondering if a thicker watch band would work too?

4. kim says:

dollar store dog collar?

5. […] like Thanks, I Made It, taylor & DEMOLISH, and I Spy DIY made amazing DIYs using our […]

6. Volo says:

Clever project! I bet my local Goodwill has some cheapie belts I can upcycle this way!

7. who called says:

Hi this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code
    with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding
    experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience.
    Any help would be enormously appreciated!

8. vibradores says:

Good day! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d
    figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or
    maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?
    My website addresses a lot of the same subjects as yours and
    I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an email.

I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by
    the way!