Hi everyone – Stefanie of Brooklyn Limestone here. MJ Trim is one of my favorite NYC stores to get lost in so of course I jumped on the opportunity to work on a mystery box project with them. As soon as the box arrived, I tore it open to find this lovely presentation. So pretty!
I knew I wanted to make a camera strap cover even before the box arrived. I pulled out all the pretty ribbons until I decided on the pleated twill tape and the green grosgrain would be the perfect pairing with some map fabric I had set aside.
Camera strap covers are a very simple project – even for a very poor seamstress like me. Essentially all you are creating is a very long, narrow pillow case with two open ends instead of one. I measured the length I’d need and cut out the fabric and ribbon to just larger than that. I sewed down the short edges to finish those before adding the grosgrain. Then I ironed the grosgrain in half to make a faux piping treatment along each edge, pinned place, turned down the edges into the sleeve and sewed it up on both edges. As an after thought, I made a quick rectangular pocket for the inside of the strap (the part that rests against my shoulder) to sock away a little cash for those times I’m not carrying a purse. At this point the cover was pretty much functional but a little too plain. Time for the cherry on top – the off white ruffle tape. I just hand stitched it every few inches to the cover and voilà…a feminine and practical accessory for anyone like me who drags their camera everywhere made in no time at all.
I just love it. Thanks MJ!
M&J Materials Used:
Thread Item# 42681 Colors Moss Green/Eggshell
5/8″ Imported Chromspun Grosgrain Ribbon Item#02215 in Sage Green
1″ Butterfly Pleated Twill Item#40497 in Natural
After the camera strap I had that lovely Greek Key ribbon staring back at me. Oh what would I do with it? A mini inspiration board was just the thing.
I started off with a stretched canvas I had laying around and covered it with a bit of drop cloth canvas fabric. Out came the tools: a staple gun, scissors, a hammer, the ribbon and the nailheads. I played with various layouts of the ribbon until I settled on a simple frame. After cutting the ribbon to size, I pulled it taut and stapled it at the back.
Finally it was time for a little bit of hardware. The precise way to apply the nailheads would be to carefully measure out the spacing but I was looking for a quick alternative so I simply used two fingers as a guide. I set the nail heads tentatively into the frame to make sure it looked good before hammering all the way in.In less than 30 minutes, I had a lovely little inspiration board perfect for a desktop. You could easily do this on a much larger scale with just a little more time and materials invested.
33mm Greek Key Jacquard Item#41897 Pale Blue/Antique
11.5mm Dome Furniture Nailhead Item#45321 in Antique Brass (1-800-9-MJTRIM)
Visit her blog Brooklyn Limestone to see some Stefanie’s other Amazing DIY’s