Another popular Halloween and certainly one of my favorites is the Flapper. I think all of us girls try this costume at least once. And, why not, who doesn’t want to be a glamorous liberal minded woman breaking free from the shackles that were once placed on us. This spirit is still alive in most of us and is a fun look for your Halloween shindig or any other costume party through out the year.
You will need:
- Slip or cocktail dress, I used black but you can word with any color you like. Remember that the flapper look put emphasis on the hips and not the waist, so you want a dress that is strait up and down and not contoured to the waist line.
- 5 yards 3” poly chainette fringe style: 00217-bk The dress that I used I found at Salvation Army and already had fringe on it, so I added 3” fringe in white to bulk it up and give the dress more dimension.
- 1¼ yard 6” poly chainette fringe style: 06006-bk
- ¾ yard 5” bugle bead fringe style: 14290-bks all materials listed above can be ordered by calling 1-800-9-mjtrim
- ¾ yard cut bugle / seed beaded trim style: 14622
- Unique stitch glue
- Sewing machine and thread
- Before you purchase your supplies be sure to take measurements around your neckline and around the skirt portion of your garment to be sure you are ordering the correct amount of trims. The amounts listed above are for the dress that I used which is about a size 4 or 6.
- Add your 6” fringe around the neckline, you can stitch or glue it is completely your preference.
- Then add your bugle bead fringe on top, then measurement given above will only be enough to add the front of the dress
- Complete the neckline by adding your seed beaded trim, again I added just to the front
- Measure 2” from the bottom of the skirt and mark all the way around. Repeat until you have marked 5 rows 2” apart.
- Add your 3” chainette fringe along your markings. You may repeat with a complimentary color for more flash. I added white to every other row.
- Be sure to add the correct accessories such as; a feathered headband, strand of pearls, and boa.
- Now, go be the most glamorous one at the party!