It seems like yesterday it was summer and now Halloween is just around the corner. Maybe you haven’t even begun planning or are somewhat perplexed over your theme for your holiday gathering this year; well don’t fret because we’ve got some inspirational ideas in store for you. This Halloween try a more elegant approach to decorating for your holiday gathering. I worked up a few ideas for our decorations this year using feather trims and some inexpensive finds from your local floral or craft shop.
Materials for Wreath
- • 1 wreath (I used a plain twig wreath)
- • 2 feather boas style: 16776 (To order call 1-800-9-mjtrim)
- • Jewelry wire Materials for Centerpiece
- • Plastic cauldron ( the one used here has an inner diameter of 12”) you may also use a planter that you may already have
- • Thin branches
- • Sand or stones to fill the bottom
- • Super moss • 3’ artificial ravens
- • 1 yard (measurement is dependant upon the size of your cauldron) feather trim style: 27971 (To order call 1-800-9-mjtrim)
- • Craft foam
How To Wreath:
For the wreath I just wrapped the two boas around it and secured with jewelry wire.
How To Centerpiece: The centerpiece was a bit more involved, but still very easy.
- The first I thing I did, and this is completely optional, is treated my cauldron so that it wouldn’t look like a cheap plastic cauldron. I sprayed it with spray on stone which can be purchased at your local hardware store. Once it has set up and dried I went over is with a coat of semi-gloss black spray paint.
- Next you are going to want to fill your cauldron with sand or stone, you want to fill it just enough so that the craft foam will sit level with the top of the cauldron, so be sure to take a measurement.
- Place your craft foam inside the cauldron; you may have to trim it down if you are not able to find it in a round. I used an 11” round dummy cake, it’s made of foam and fit perfectly inside the cauldron you should be able to find them online at nycake.com
- Arrange your branches in the center of the foam, you should be able to just push them in to secure
- Glue your feather trim around the foam so that it appears to be spilling out of the cauldron
- Apply your super moss around the branches to cover the exposed foam
- Arrange and attach your ravens how you wish
- Enjoy your beautiful new Halloween centerpiece