This summer nautical fashion makes a come back and has been incorporated in many ways into urban wardrobe. Some of the details that are visible in runways and street fashion are: white and blue stripes, anchor buttons, bullion crests with sailing-inspired details, like the ones from Arena Home, spring/summer 2009. Other collections inspired by the nautical lifestyle are Dolce and Gabbana spring/summer 2009 and Chanel¹s Resort 2010, which was inspired in Coco Chanel’s first visit to Venice. I made this striped grosgrain and anchor buttons belt, it’s easy to make and perfect to get the nautical look.
- 2 yards striped grosgrain ribbon in navy
- 2 1”D rings
- 1 24mm and 2 15mm anchor buttons (42387)
- 1 15mm snap (11425)
- 1 tube of Unique Stitch Glue
- Needle and thread
- Measure your waist.
- Add 6”to this measurement and cut ribbon this length.
- At one end create a finished edge by folding the edge over ¼”and securing it with a drop of Unique Stitch Glue.
- Thread the same end through both D rings at ¾”fold and secure with glue
- At the other end of the ribbon create another finished edge by folding the edge over twice in ¼”sections. Be sure to create the fold in the opposite direction as the first.
- On the non face side of the end you just finished sew 1 part of the snap ¾”away from the edge.
- Measure 10 ½”and sew the other part of the snap
- From the second part of the snap measure ½”and sew 1 of the 15mm buttons.
- On the face side sew the 24mm button ¾”away from the edge, this will hide the stitches holding the snap in place.
- Sew the other 15mm buttons ½”from the 24mm button.
- Wear, enjoy!