A Touch of Gray (DIY Bridal Shoe Clip)

By Kristin

The hottest trend it seems lately is that brides are heading towards shades of gray for the new accent color.  They are incorporating into everything ranging from the invites to the wedding dress itself!  I decided to create a simple pair of shoe clips done in this hot new shade to show how versatile it can be.

Shoe clips were at their most popular during the Victorian era, they were used to dress up your shoes, but could also be clipped to hats, scarves, and bags.  I’m a huge fan of shoe clips, I usually make my own using mostly buttons and ribbons, but I do have a few vintage pairs too.  Why not try to make a pair today, you’ll quickly see how addictive it is to own a ‘new’ pair of shoes!

Materials Used:

Instructions:

1. You will need 2 pieces of ribbon measuring 8 inches and two measuring 3 inches.
  2. Fold the ends of the 8″ ribbon towards the middle and glue in place with Unique Stitch Glue, then take the 3″ piece and fold over the ends about ¼” and glue in place.  Wrap the small 3″ piece around the center of the long folded piece to cover the seam, glue in place.
  3. Take your needle and thread and sew the shoe clip to the back of the ribbon.  You can use E6000 as well, but I find that the thread holds up better over time.
  4. Take your rhinestone button and clip off the shank back (the small metal loop on the back).  Clip it as close to the back of the button as you can, a little extra remaining is okay, so long as the button lays flat.
  5. Glue your button to the middle of the front of the ribbon.
  6. Let everything dry overnight.
  7. Clip on and look gorgeous!

20 comments on “A Touch of Gray (DIY Bridal Shoe Clip)

1. Sarah says:

I can’t find the clips – do you still sell them?

2. Cynthia says:

If you are not the crafty type – here’s a great site that sells ready-made shoe clips in crystal jewel styles and ribbon bow styles:
    Enjoy!

3. Kristin says:

Hi Sarah,

We do sell the clips. When you have the chance, you can give me a call at 1.800.965.8746 ext 377. I’d be happy to help you.

Best,
    Kristin

4. Karen Rabinowitz says:

Hi Kristen,
    I would like to order those shoe clips from M&J but I can’t find them on your website. Would you mind if I called you at the number you left for Sarah to try to place an order with you?
    Thanks!!
    Karen

5. Kristin says:

Hi Karen,

No problem. Feel free to give me a call anytime and I’d be glad to help you. I’ll talk to you soon.

Best,
    Kristin

6. Kristin Dickson says:

Hello,
    Where can I find the metal clips for the shoe clips?

Does Michaels or other craft stores sell them?

Thanks so much. Great project!

Best,
    Kristin

7. Kristin says:

Hi Kristin. We have the same name.^_^ The item number for the shoe clips is #13689. You can get this by calling 1.800.965.8746 ext 377. I can take care of the getting them sent to you.

Kristin Sirota

8. CASSANDRA ARNASON says:

Hi, I’m use shoe clips as my “something blue” for my wedding next summer. I’d like something simple, maybe with a vintage look. I’ve looked on the sites recommended, but haven’t found the right set yet. Do you have any other links?
    Thanks, C. Arnason

9. Elizabeth Ann Ward says:

Just came across this blog and I too am interested in making my own shoe clips. I have been unable to find the blank clips needed. Are they still available?

Beth

10. Louise says:

Hi, Yes, you can get the blank cilps from http://www.thevanillatree.com

11. Cindy says:

Could you tell me how much the metal clips run? Are they sold as pairs or as a dozen?

I have tried using earrings and they are bulkier and hurt my feet.

12. Marion says:

We sell the original Bluette clips from Weil-France, the single ones 6 pairs (12 pcs) for USD 20 and the exclusive double ones 6 pairs (12 pcs) for USD 30. Don’t hesitatie to convo me with questions.
    Marion

13. Sherry says:

Do you know of any stores that sell a variety of already made clip?. My mom wants some & she’d like to actually go to the store and see them in person. We’re just outside Wash DC.

Thanks

14. Luna says:

Hi Sherry!

I was wondering about that as well. You google the information. Just make sure you add in the city and state next to whatever you’ve typed in for your search, that way you can get a list of local stores in your area :)

15. Amanda says:

there is someone on etsy that has tons of already made Sherry, http://sofisticata.etsy.com, I have got a few from her!

16. Linda P. says:

Is this clip comfortable to walk in? I always had trouble with clip accessories feeling comfortable.

• Amanda says:

**Linda P. | April 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM Said:

Yes, Linda, they are very confortable, I have purchased from http://sofisticata.etsy.com many times, and they are so small you cant feel them… You should try them!!

17. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment
    but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyway, just wanted to say great blog!